Sunday, November 20, 2011

"He's Got Legs... And know's how to use them"

First off, did ZZ top really exist?  The whole concept of two guys with really long beards playing Fluffy Z guitars while side stepping in an awkward synchronization seems like a weird nightmare looking back.

Secondly, I have found myself with a bit more free time than usual, since I have decided not to race anymore this year, which means my blog posts will start to get a bit off course.  This might be a good time of the year for you to stop reading my entries for a month or two.  My focus shifts from documenting my bike racing adventures to entertaining myself.  On the other hand, I will put together some insightful entries from time to time, as there are some cool topics that I often discuss during the winter months (indoor TT's, team announcements, training theory, equipment adjustments,  training camp, etc.).

Ok, along the lines of me having too much free time this morning, here is a picture that I put together upon reviewing Angy Snoop's photo collection from the Devil's Cross 2k event.
Right: Chad Bishop, Middle: Matias Perret, Right: That dude from ZZ top with some hot chic's legs.
There are a few noteworthy considerations.  First of all, Matias (2011 Iowa State Road Race Champion) has huge legs.  His success at bike racing is definitely influenced by his genetic pre-disposition to be able to recruit lots of fast-twitch muscle fibers.  I would love to take a look at his current training calendar. I wonder if he does off the bike work to achieve some of this mass, as simply putting in the mileage would not yield this physiological composition.

Ok, my legs seem to be pretty 'massive' as well, especially compared to that girl with the ZZ top head.  Usually guys with massive legs tend to be sprinter-types, while being less efficient at climbing and time trialing. Matias has achieved success within all aspects of the sport, so even more noteworthy.

I used to find it odd that competitive cyclists don't always have huge legs.  I eventually came to understand that endurance athletes usually have more slow-twitch muscle fibers, which don't tend to become massive, rather just more efficient. Well, in an effort to keep things in perspective, I will now compare my legs to Janez Brajkovic's.   He is an international  Pro Cyclist for Team Radio Shack.  This guy can time trial and climb mountains with the best riders in the world.
Right: Chad Bishop, Middle: Janez Brajkovic, Right: The girl from ZZ Top
Ok, my arms seem to be almost as large as his legs.  And yet, this guy has one of the most effective  power to weight ratios in the sport of cycling.  I don't really have much of a point, except to point out that bigger leg muscles aren't necessarily stronger, depending on your definition of strength.

I wonder if that girl from zz-top would go out with a guy like Janez?  She might prefer a bit more facial hair and maybe the more traditionally masculine physique.  Wait a minute...  what is that girl in the ZZ top mobile up to?  Are these two meeting in the desert for a little nature exploration?  And where is the driver?  That guy is missing out, depending on what is about to transpire.

In addition to blowing your mind with ZZ top references,  I also use this blog to document and archive my racing.  To that end, below are a couple of belated pictures from Devil's Cross 2k.  Thanks for reading, and please pardon my digressions.


1 comment:

Harold said...

I wish I had legs like yours. I'd wear really short jean shorts all the time.