Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"D-Day"... A Chris Horner 'Bromance' reaches full bloom...

Chris Horner enjoyed one of the biggest victories of his career when he won the Amgen 2011 TOC.
I like what pro cyclist Chris Horner (2011 Tour of California winner) said regarding his training for 2012.  He basically said he has been racing long enough that there is no more guess work; he knows exactly what he has to do to get to where he wants to go... He is 40 years old and has been racing all his life, so he has lots more experience then me, yet I can still relate to this sentiment. 

Each year, I get more efficient at training.  I learn what works for me and what doesn't... By trial and error I have honed in on a pretty solid personal training agenda.  I am sure there is still room for improvement, but I feel pretty confident that I am going to be able to reach new heights in 2012 based on my constantly evolving approach to reaching my maximum physical potential.


Chris Horner and Levi Leipeheimer claiming team victory
over the final stage.

Even though Horner is considered somewhat 'old' compared to the typical professional cyclist, he makes up for any physical limitations through his wisdom.  He claims that he is still getting stronger each year.  He won the Tour of California quite convincingly.  In fact, fellow pro-cyclist Christian Vandevelde  mentioned that Horner was actually giggling up one of the steep mountain stages of the event... he felt that good... that much stronger than his competitors.  This is an inspiring concept.  One can potentially overcome biological disadvantages through strategic, evidence-based training.

Horner credited much of his success at that event on his decision to adjust his infamous cheeseburger diet, and opt to focus on losing weight.  He started the TOC about 10 pounds lighter than his normal race weight... no wonder he was giggling when he was on the climbs... it must have felt so much easier with his improved physical profile.

A succesful season begins in the basement/garage...
even for pro cyclists like Chris Horner.

With this in mind, I have purchased a new health-O-meter scale and decided that December 1st is D-DAY. I will reluctantly weigh myself, and then vow to monitor my body fat throughout the winter. Hopefully, I will be racing lean by the time I head down to Arizona for the Tucson Classic.

I have even signed up for a wacky indoor training challenge that starts December 1st and culminates with a 100 mile trainer/roller ride on New Year's Day...
Hmm, maybe that is a bit ridiculous, but perhaps I can get some people to join me.  What a great way to start the year, in theory.  We shall see.


No comments: