Monday, May 18, 2009

DICE 20k Time Trial

I drove accross the river to compete in the 9th annual DICE 20k TT on Sunday. I have done this race for several years now, and was looking forward to it. It was about 36 degrees when I awoke, but warmed up to near perfect conditions by the race start.

I hadn't checked the start list, but assumed I would be starting somewhere in the middle, plenty of time to get ready, as I was registering with about 20 minutes to the first rider. Ooops, I am the first rider. Also, of note, Bryce Mead, last year's winner and Team Jelly Belly rider had pre-registered at the last minute and was on the start list... crap.

Well, I do like wearing the number '1', so I just did one of the most efficient TT warm-up sequences I have ever executed, and lined up at 9:00:59 for the 9:01:00 start. I just barely had time to pin up my number using Floyd Landis's secret pyramid energy source number folding method.
I was focused on bettering my last year's time of 26:16. I knew how fast I had to average to get that done and was happy to be, for the most part, staying in my target zone.

My official finishing time ended up being 25:55, so I achieved my pre-race goals. As an added bonus that time was the fastest of the day, so I won the 1st place overall award.

I didn't recognize most of the names on the start list, as this is an American Bicycle Racing event, however, a couple of fellow USAC racers like Cat 3 phenom Derek Cassady and Adam Price were there. They both had strong rides, just missing the top 3, but placing well in the categories they entered. Dan Shaffer of Iowa City finished 3rd overall, and a young rider from Chicago area came in second about a minute or so back from me. (last year's winner didn't end up showing)

Memorial Day weekend bike racing is up next! A chance to race against the best in the midwest without the hassles of long drives and overnight accomodations. In fact the Melon City Crit is practically in my backyard.

I am signed up for 4 Cat 3 races, one on each day, including the infamously annoying Wapello-Burlington Road Race on Friday night. I will probably post a preview later in the week, as the startlists are filling up. Needless to say, this will be one of the more noteable weekends of my 2009 season.

4 comments:

HalfWheeler said...

All right Chad, don't leave us hanging! "Did you get the hanging chad reference" OK, I have to know more about the "infamously annoying" part of the Wapello-Burlington Road Race.

Chad Bishop said...

Chief,

I have entered the race a few times, and it is usually 33 miles of constant braking and trying to stay inside the centerline. There are never any breakaways, no hills, and a wickedly dangerous downhill group sprint. The most commonly used phrase is 'slowing' and 'what the f*&K?'. I only enter because 'maybe it will be different this year', but probably be a good 'warm-up' for the more rewarding races that occur Sat, Sun and Monday.

Doug said...

So, what was first prize? I don't see a picture of a new car or new bike...

Chad Bishop said...

Doug,
Yes, I wonder about the 'prizes' at Time Trials. I have never won a payout, rather sometimes a 12pack of michelob ultra, but usually a medal or some sort. There are payouts at some of the ABR races, with first place only being about $30... crit racing is where it the prizes are at. Maybe I can find a crit that doesn't have any turns, and everyone starts :30 seconds apart.