Tuesday, May 12, 2009

USA Cycling Rankings & Tubular PSI

Pictured Above: Old Cap Category 3 racers cresting the hill, as Chad Bishop gives DC 'the look' (click to zoom, and notice this look isn't quite as confident as the one Lance gave Ulrich)

Well, since I didn't get any Iowa Cup points at Finchford, I decided to check my status amongst all the Cat 3 Licensed riders in the nation. Cool, I am ranked 6th. Most Iowa race directors are now automatically submitting almost every race, so check back throughout the season to see how you compare against the rest of the country. I sorted the results for Iowa Cat 3 riders and here is where it stands:

Mens Cat 3 (Aged 1-99) Road Race Rankings in IOWA
1 Chad Bishop (34pts - 6th in US)
2 Shawn Loomis (21pts - 23rd in US)
3 Jerome Rewerts (16pts - 49th in US)
4 Derek Cassaday (10pts - 86th in US)
5 Richard Wince (9pts - 114th in US)
6 Carson Christen (7pts - 177th in US)
7 Brian West (6pts)
8 Daniel Galles (5pts)
9 Christopher Reed (4pts)
10 Steven Robinson (3pts)
11 Nick Martin (2pts)
12Ryan Jacobsen (1pt)

Thanks to the officials who are submitting results to USA Cycling. I don't believe the Iowa City Weekend, nor Eagle Point Crit were submitted, but perhaps they will be soon. FYI, I believe state championship races yield the most points, regardless of which state they are, so put some extra mustard on your hot dog for those events.
-----------
Ok, I spent some time researching proper PSI's for tubular tires and thought I would share the information, so readers of this blog can learn (what they probably already know) from my mistakes. For a Zipp Tangente, for example...


*Not to exceed 145 psi/10 bar
The above tire inflation pressures are recommended for optimal rolling resistance and grip. These pressures are for room temperature tires and rims. Tire pressures may increase as much as 25psi due to high rim temperatures caused by prolonged braking or as much as 5psi from high ambient or road surface temperatures.

---
So, I weighed about 159 lbs Sunday at Finchford. Based on this chart I needed to adjust my tire pressure for my weight and the rough roads.

For a 200 psi Max Bontrager XXX Pro Tubular I believe I should have had the front tire at 155psi and the rear tire at 165psi. (85% of the max for the rear tire minus 5psi for the rough road conditions and 80% of the max for the front tire minus 5psi for the rough road conditions).

If anyone has experience with tubulars and would like to offer feedback on my new tire pressure plan I would appreciate it. I was bouncing all over the road at the IC crit as well, but am now encouraged to think that I have new knowledge that will give me the optimal rolling resistance and grip for future races.

5 comments:

Doug said...

Well, you could just gain some weight. KFC for you the rest of the week, and no riding.

Chad Bishop said...

Doug...If I can get over 200 lbs, I could technically inflate my rear tire to whatever is listed as the max pressure, but should still need to remember to inflate the front tire at least 5psi lower. At this point it would be easier just to not put as much air in the tires, but KFC is pretty tasty, I will have to think about which option makes the most sense.

Joe Mann said...

Chad, check out http://www.velonews.com/article/13059 for some tire pressure snswers. I can't ever imagine running 200 PSI in a tire unless you are on the rollers. Connie's race wheels can handle that much but she usually runs 140-150 depending on the road conditions. If it is a lot of seal coat or rough concrete then 120-130.

Joe Mann

Chad Bishop said...

Joe,

Awesome link, and information. Actually, the more I learn about tires, I can see that clinchers might be the best choice for most racers, since premium quality clinchers do have lower rolling resistance in most instances.

RL said...

Those tire pressures seem high, I run between 100-110 in tubulars, I think anything over 140 or 150 is ridiculous.