Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Melon City Criterium 2009

My third of 5 races of the weekend occured on Sunday in my hometown of Muscatine, IA. 75 Cat 3 racers were lined up for the 18 mile/lap race around weed park. This is always an intense day, as I have to split my focus on a very important work contract throughout the day, as well as this great race. It is a complete blast to have Weed Park taken over by the cycling community.

I spent most of the time at front of this race, but usually behind a wheel...

I helped bring back several attacks including this one...
I never could find the rhythym up the hill like I did last year, so decided to see what happens if you are near the front up the hill on the last lap. I knew that wasn't a move that would result in a victory, but thinking perhaps only a handful of people would shoot past me.

---I WAS THE SHAKE... NOT THE BAKE---

Unfortunately, the momentum up that hill caused by the draft and immense speeds from the descent create a 'sling-shot' effect. Riders that park themselves strategically can launch around the inside riders as they sprint up the hill trying to get to the switchback in the lead position.

As soon as fifteen people passed me, I let up the gas (this race paid back 15 spots). Several crashes then began to occur as I made my way casually over the finish line 29th out of 75.

I wished this race was a ride at an amusement park, because my immediate reaction after the finish was that I wanted to ride this roller coaster again right away. It was a fun and relaxing race that I was sad to see come to an end so soon. Of course, I would have adjusted my last lap positioning just a notch on the second time around.

A couple of Pics from Snake Alley I just recieved....


The Quad Cities Criterium turned out to be an epic battle of inner will and determination for me. I will post about that in a day or two.

6 comments:

HalfWheeler said...

Chad. Thought I saw you lay it down on the backstretch of the Quad City Crit. The wreck and carnage looked pretty bad. Hope you are not in too bad of shape today.

Chad Bishop said...

Chief...
Yes, almost slid into the river in the Cat 3 race. I am sore and achy today, and my bike has seen better days.

My next race that day was very rewarding, however, so all is well. Thanks.

Doug said...

...seen better days... well you need a new bike. It will make you look faster.

Doug said...

Now Snake Alley, that has always been a race I have wanted to do. All of those Memorial Day weekend races look fun, IA is not that far from MI. Maybe one year I will 1) remember about the events, and 2) save some money to go.

Doug said...

Does your team kit ever change? You have had that same yellow and black kit for several years. And wait, if you are on a team, where is your help? I never read about you working with anyone in a race...

Chad Bishop said...

Doug, yeah, Memorial Day weekend is a very popular race series. Start training tomorrow, only about 360 days until the next one. Only about three licensed racers in Muscatine this year, so we usually don't end up in the same races.