Monday, July 20, 2009

American Bike Racing Weekend Review

Mississippi Bluffs RR - Sometimes I mention that my race was over before it ever started... well, this race was over because I NEVER started. For reasons beyond my control, I couldn't make it to the start in time. My bike was loaded and I was pre-registered so this was a sort of a traumatizing situation.

Man, another blow to my season and mentallity. I will admit to being depressed this weekend.

Cordvova (Dr. Craig Schulz) 40k TT - I haven't been riding my TT bike much this year, but still figured all the road racing/group training would keep me competitive in this discipline. On the other hand, I was very depressed and the negative thoughts were suggesting that I was headed for upset. Sure enough, my TT form has taken a backward slide. My time of 54:45 wasn't horrible, but it indicated that I was losing ground on my fitness. I finished 4th overall, and didn't get one of the top 3 trophies. This is a race against the clock, and the clock won, so I basically finished 2nd out of 2 competitors... aka Dead Last! Ouch, I was almost down for the count.

Ok, the whole season has really been anticlimatic. This is the time when some competitive cyclists may opt to sell all of their equipment, and 'spend more time with the family'. This constant barrage of dissapointment has become a bit overwhelming.

Alas, though, this is also a good time to remind myself of the benefits I recieve from this sport, aside from competitive success. Things like excellent fitness, good muscle tone, low body fat, good friends, increased vitality, mood enhancement (usually), more fulfilling lifestyle, something to blog about, group affiliation, an inspiring hobby, limitless goal realization opportunities, etc.

It was also helpful to remind myself of Levi Leipenheimer's misfortune in the Tour De France... we all go through ups and downs in this sport, and in life. For a rider to really be 'strong', they must be able to mentally persevere through periods of doubt. Physical fitness is only one aspect of what allows some competitors to rise above.

Not really so sure about my TT form for the upcoming Iowa TT champs, however I do plan on adjusting my training focus in hopes of improving my result.

Now off to Wisconsin for two Superweek races. Tuesday is a 1.1 mile Cat 3 crit in Whitnall park. There are 'rolling hills' but no real sharp corners, as it is in a park, not city streets. Then Wednesday is the Lake Front Road Race, in Milwaukee. Right on Lake Michigan, this race is 70 miles long. The loop is about 4 miles with two steep hills per lap. The national Road Champs have been on this course 7 times in the past, so it must be a well-received race.

1 comment:

Doug said...

Well, you missed your start... I did that two weeks ago...

...and you forgot that some people think that folks that do this sport are a little nuts.

Well, if it helps, I did get 4th this past Saturday in a fair size 30+ race... and won $25, my first money prize in four years.