Thursday, July 9, 2009

The season continues...

I thought I would post this picture from the 2009 Hummer Hammer. I think it is a great picture (by mike moritz). Especially noteworthy is the presence of Jeff Bradley (in black). Apparently he is a former pro cyclist from the 1980's Seven Eleven team (other notable teammates included Bob Roll, Chris Carmichael, Davis Phinney, George Hincapie, Lance Armstrong, etc) and on the rather short list of Americans who have competed in the Tour De France (he was one of the first ever). He has won several national championships as well, not to mention having won the Race Across America two times. Anyway, I have been seeing him around a lot this year, and aftern researching his past, now I understand why some guys have been marking his wheel.

Might as well throw in a picture of my racing set-up...

I will admit, it took me awhile to get the feel for this new bike and especially racing with deep aero wheels. The bike is smaller, stiffer, lighter, narrower, etc than my old ride. Definately faster, assuming I can keep it on the course. Aerowheels add speed in some conditions but the trade off can be bike handling. I feel comfortable now and ready to race.

Off to the BBQ, Blues and Bikes event in Clear Lake Iowa this weekend. I am most excited about the 81 mile road race on Sunday. This is a distance sure to test the limits of the Cat 3 field's fitness and training. The organizer's recently decided to have the Cat 1/2's race with us (but scored seperate) which means it will not only be a long race, but aggressive as well.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Joe Mann said...

I don't think Jeff Bradely ever did the Race Across America. His team mate Jonathan Boyer did and won twice.

Chad Bishop said...

You are probably right, the site i was on was a bit confusing.