Thursday, July 23, 2009

Superweek Sports Bra Sightings

I accomplished another thing on my cycling 'to-do' list by competing in two races at the Superweek Pro Tour.

Whitnall Park Criterium-
This was a 1.1 mile loop in a city park. The course felt alot like the Melon City Criterium, with a steep uphill and a 'sling-shot' decent. The finish was fairly straight with a downard slope. About 37 guys lined up, with Mark Howe (who has been winning many of the Cat 3 races) being heavily marked.

This course wasn't really technical, and the hill wasn't big enough to break things up, so picking the right moves was going to be crucial. I say this in hindsight, as I missed the 'right move' as a group of about 8 formed early in the race. Many of the guys in the field were keying on Mark, who wasn't in it, and it seemed a bit early.

I decided to go to the front and see about pulling the group back. After a lap of pulling, a couple riders attacked instead of pulling through. I was redlining the next lap trying to hang on after my effort and decided that I would just sit-in, as it felt like riders who pulled were being punished and/or taken advantage of.

I was primed and ready to sprint for 8th with the field of about 24. I realized I had a massive amount of energy left in my legs and nailed it up the hill on the final lap. I had a huge gap, but decided the group's momentum around the 'shake and bake' section would close it, so I slowed down. I still was firing well, and charged out after the first wheel made the move. I was able to finish 4th out of this group for 12th overall (Results).

I went to Cedarburg to watch the Pro 1/2 race. The town really got into things, with all the neighbors outside having cookouts, drinking wine/beer, etc. Riders from many different countries attend this event. Garmin/Slipstream, Rock Racing, Team Typ 1, Fly V Australia and Bissel were some of the noteworthy Pro Teams.

Milwaukee -
I then headed down to Milwaukee to scope out the historic Lake Front Road Race course. Bradford beach was alive with volleyball/bikini action which distracted my recon mission a bit, but I was having fun exploring the city. The hills weren't as long as I imagined, but the course featured great views of the lake as it traversed through the heart of Milwaukee.

40 Cat 3's from all over the midwest lined up to take on this 75 mile course. We made 18 loops, so 36 sharp hills and 36 descents. A break of about 7 formed early on, but the field was controlling the gap, letting them dangle. It got out pretty far, and I believe everyone was getting a bit nervous.

Eventually it was pulled back in, and I started getting ready for my move as it seemed like a perfect time with those seven guys now hurting a bit. A guy from burnam racing went on a solo flyer. He sat out there for quite a few miles, as I was literally licking my lips, riding at the front. Just at the base of the second hill I hit it hard, flying up the hill. I was joined by another rider as we bridged up to the solo move. A burnam teammate took over for the guy who made the solo move, and the three of us started working together.

We were very pleased to be joined by a guy from Team Leadout, who had guys to block. The four of us worked it well for the next six or seven laps. I felt that this move was going to work, and began to smile just a bit.

Unfortunately, some guys from the pack were trying to bridge up. This was lifting the tempo of the chase group. They caught us after about 25 miles. Ok, things aren't looking too good, as I used a lot of strength trying to make that work.

Two guys snuck up ahead a lap or two later and everything slowed down (why couldn't they have ridden like this when we were up there?). I still felt strong, but definately at a disadvantage because of my earlier efforts.

The pro 1/2 field passed by us at one point. It was fun to be sort of riding with guys from Ouch/Maxxis, Fly V Australia, Garmin/Slipstream, Jelly Belly, Rock Racing, etc. This famous race course brought out some of the best pro/ams. Superweek, in general, seems to attract people from all over the world.

The highlight of the race was when all of the sudden I hear all of the guys in the field start hooting and hollering. I looked over to see a very fit girl in a white sports bra jogging along the beach. We had turned into construction workers, for some reason, but this was a beautiful creature, and I think we were all sort of light headed from the accumulating mileage. Luckily, Bradford beach was closed down due to this race, because if we would have had too many more 'sports bra sightings', I am sure there would have been some accidents.

Anyway, a couple more guys slipped off the front over the last two laps. I tried to follow, but my mind was telling me it would be too much. We were sprinting for about 9th place. The finish was wide and on a 1 mile straightaway, so you could really set yourself up how you wanted. I should have tried my luck punching it early, but I just went with the standard 200 meter sprint, which resulted in a mid-pack finish.

Great experience, I plan on doing part of Superweek and the tour of America's dairyland in Wisconsin again, as I enjoyed the fields, challenges, courses and scenery. I will be more determined, as a 'veteran' to bring back better results. But, ultimately, bike racing is more about the journey than the destination, so I try to enjoy the ride.

Stay tuned for my State Road Race pre-game reports. I may even turn back on the anonymous posts for this topic.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice write-up! I'd totally forgotten about the runner... I wonder if she would have turned red if she wasn't so perfectly tan. Nice work in the break! - Eric (solo idiot from Burnham)

James said...

Really, the whole peloton was ogling over her?

The one time I shouldn't have been in the breakaway...

Chad Bishop said...

James, It is nice to to think that there was some penalty for the guys who got in the successful breakaways.

Eric, I appreciated the 'solo' move and then your blocking efforts.