Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Ivan vs. Rocky - A case for the scientific method

As part of my quest to improve my cycling performance, I have begun to research retro-cinema in hopes of finding new training insights.  I stumbled upon a movie called ROCKY IV that proved to be very inspiring. 

Basically, I tend to align with the principles of the 'scientific method' when it comes to training.  I process data and make adjustments according to my results to improve the intended outcomes.  Essentially, I am constantly conducting 'experiments' to see what works best to improve my cycling fitness and ultimate race performance.  These experiments involve everything from nutrition, types of workouts, recovery intervals, intensity, race tactics, and equipment. 

Much like Ivan Drago, I find myself using the latest scientific principles and technologies to enhance my racing outcomes.  Unlike in Rocky's Soviet Union training camp, I do in fact, perform a lot of training that maximizes the control I have over various extraneous variables (wind, wattage, heart rate, resistance, temperature, traffic, etc.). 

While I cannot deny the benefits of training in more 'natural' conditions, where intervals occur randomly based on the presence of wind, hills, attacks, and stop-ahead signs, I also find a case for being very specific with respect to training...aka; 'training with a purpose'.

So which approach is better... the natural outdoor method, or the technological scientific method?  Well, the movie proves that training indoors using the scientific method is far superior.  Ivan totally kicked Rocky's ass in the movie, and even killed Apollo Creed with the massive power of his punches.  Ok, I will admit that I haven't seen the last part of the movie, but I would have to assume that cutting-edge science still prevailed against old-fashioned will and determination. 



I will test my Ivan Drago training principles in the this weekend's 'Cold War', also known as the Rose Festival Criterium and Road Race. Message to anyone who dares step up to the line against me... "I vil crush you".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.