Friday, June 25, 2010

Tour of America's Dairyland - 2010

Well, I did a quick hit-and-run on the 2010 Tour of America's Dairlyand by racing Wednesday and Thursday in the Master's 1,2,3 races.

Wednesday's race was put on by TREK in downtown Waterloo.  Stayed with my cousin's family, who work at TREK.  I was shocked to see that the field had 73 participants... this tour has become very popular since it's debut last year.  The course was a long format criterium with some rough roads, sharp turns, narrow slightly uphill portion, etc. 

I rolled around the front, and took a chance bridging up to a break that I noticed team ISCORP was blocking for. The breakaway was limp and unmotivated, but I kept rolling it as a prime was called.  I had to dig deep for that effort, and cowered back to the safety of the field for about 30 minutes to recover, once that move was brought back.  We were averaging about 27mph... 32mph on the straights, and 23mph on the narrow uphill.  That seems to be the norm for Cat 1/2/3 type races with large fields.

I attacked with one to go, mainly just so I could be in front.  With half a lap to go, I was sitting pretty in third wheel... unfortunately it was an ISCORP wheel... three of this guy's teamates shoved me off the wheel and formed a perfect 4-man lead-out for their guy.  I was both angered by this and impressed.  I always wondered how those chains worked out... you have to literally TAKE the position... sort of cool.  This ISCORP team is dominant in Wisconsin, and I believe they practice their tactics and have detailed game plans. I pedalled it out, but finished way back from the 15 paying spots.

Thursday was a 60 mile road race in Greenbush. 

I was near the front for the first part of the lap, but couldn't handle everyone griping to each other (filling gaps, braking, holding lines, etc.)  Masters racers seem very interested in 'saving energy'.  I agree this is smart racing, but maintaining the perfect, most efficient drafting position is boring and exhausting at the same time.  I headed to the back of the pack to wait things out.

Unfortunately, this meant I wouldn't be involved in any breakaways that might emerge. 

In part due to a life-saving hand up by Mathias Perret of Iowa City Cycling,  I began to 'race'... sensing the field was finally softened up with about 16 miles to go.  The previously tense downhill portions had become enjoyable, now that I was dodging around the course near the front.   The griping had stopped, because fatigue had set in to replace all of the earlier nervous energy.

Apparently, there were five guys up ahead.  I bridged up to a 3 man chase group.  The gap held for awhile, but some guys in the field worked together to bring it back.  Oh well, I had plenty of time left and felt good.

Later, I again found myself in a good position with about 1 mile to go.  Nearing the finish, I was leading the field, but in a cross wind section, so the benefits of drafting weren't as significant.  A guy came around me, and I struggled to get to his wheel (using the strength I would have needed later... crap).  The swarming started coming around the last corner that started the 300 meter uphill finish. There were only about 4 guys ahead of me, but once we straightened out all hell broke loose, and I dropped quite a few places to end up in 30th overall (out of around 60 starters).

Great race experience... as the competition was amongst the best in the country and this tour is well organized. 

No comments: