Saturday, February 26, 2011

Road To Nowhere...

"The Gray Zone", "Zone 3",  "The Road To Nowhere"... (press play before proceeding)

"The Road To Nowhere... I imagine parts of my Arizona
cyclng vacation might look like this.

If those phrases are familiar than you must be a roadie of some sort... These terms refer to training that is neither really intense, nor really easy... sort of in between... lower than your lactate threshold, but higher than your fat burning heart rate zone...


These workouts are really mind-numbing, especially indoors, but necessary... So, during a recent workout, as I was merrily meandering on this mundane mission, I heard the instructor on my DVD say something to the effect of  "I know you may be tempted to go nuts right now... but I want to you to try and hold back"...

Even though I had heard him say this before, I began laughing this time.   I really was tempted to unleash some sort of violent interval... I wanted the workout to be over sooner.. but alas, when you are traveling on the "road to nowhere", pedalling faster doesn't get you there any sooner...  I kept laughing... then realized I was having some sort of physiological reaction to this training zone... mild hysteria... my body was using fat as energy, and it sort of 'tickled' compared to the 'going nuts/carb burning' workout that I had done the day before.

"Maybe you wonder where you are... but I don't care... it's alright"
I can see where jogging on a treadmill or cycling on a stationary bike could seem pointless, however I am always able to find a 'destination' to focus my ambition.  All of those who choose to add exercise and physical fitness to their lifestyle are sharing this journey. 


"We are on a ride to nowhere... come on inside... here is where time is on our side... take you there... ha!  ha!   ha!".


So, get on your bike, lace up your shoes, put on that swim cap... it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you are enjoying the ride. I will see you at the end of the road... 

"Would you like to come along, and help us sing this song?"

No comments: