Monday, February 7, 2011

Velosport American Equity Roller Race

I enjoyed a great time socializing and competing at the Velosport American Equity Roller Race on Sunday.  Lou Waugaman completely punished the rollers by setting an unbelievable time of 4:55.0.  That is the fastest time ever recorded during an Iowa Roller Championship Series Event.  Shawn Loomis held the former benchmark of 4:58.0 that he set in 2010 (FYI...I held the 2009 record at 5:01.4).  Lou was wobbling toward the end of his 500 watt sustained power effort, and nearly rode off of the rollers with about 10 seconds to go... an incredible sign of how far he was able to push himself into the red zone.
Lou Waugaman toward the end of his 2 mile indoor time trial.
Lou's time seemed beyond my current capability, so I constructed a personal goal time that was more realistic and would reflect my steadily improving fitness.  At about 1 mile in I was still rolling a sub 5 minute time but I had to dial it back a bit, ending up with a solid time of 5:08.6.  I asked for some painkillers as waves of intense pain pierced through my legs immediately after the effort... somebody had some ibuprofen... I knew the sting would subside in a minute or two so I called off the request for a medic. I actually enjoy being temporaily incapacitated... sort of a sign that I mentally pushed myself further than what I could physically handle...

Velosport American Equity Roller Race - February 6th, 2011 - Davenport, IA - Results

Senior 1-2-3
Lou Waugaman 4:55.0 Velosport Amer Equity
Chad Bishop 5:08.6 Velosport Amer Equity
Jeff Bradley 5:30.4 Velosport Amer Equity
Jeff Bradley breaking in his new Velosport Team bike
with teammate Paul Deninger setting pace along his side.
Vince Dejong 5:50.0 Velosport Amer Equity

Women Open
Deb Wood 7.29.3 Velosport Amer Equity
Nicole Fiala 7:44.9 Velosport Amer Equity
Kathleen Porter 7:59.3 Twisted Spokes

Junior 15-
Ian Henricksen 7:58.1 Harper's Cycling and Fitness

Senior 4
Mike Thomson 5:46.6 Velosport Amer Equity
John Sulzberger 5:57.5 Harper's Cycling and Fitness

Senior 5
Todd Ehler 5:34.1 Velosport Amer Equity
Jason Rettler 5:52.7 Velosport Amer Equity
Ken Hoffman 6:07.7 Velosport Amer Equity
 
Masters 40+
Paul Deninger 5:25.6 Velosport Amer Equity
John Sulzberger 5:52.7 Harper's Cycling and Fitness
John Adamson 6:19.5 Twisted Spokes

Lou's pre-race preparations with teammates from Velosport/American Equity.

So, now three competitors have posted times under the 5 minute barrier (Lou Waugaman - 4:55.0, Jerome Rewerts - 4:59.0, & Shawn Loomis - 4:58.0).  I think I can someday add my name to the list...


1 comment:

john said...

Always nice to get your race reports. It sure is going to be fun to watch you and your teammates this season. Thanks to Jeff and the team for putting on the roller race
John