Friday, August 12, 2011

Accepting Denial - State Road Race Recap pt 2.

Ok, I feel a bit conflicted making it seem like American Equity didn't get 'routed' at the 2011 state road race.  There were plenty of things to be proud of, but when teammate Paul Deninger described the result as "getting routed", I realized it was in my best interest to chalk the whole effort in the loss column.  That way I can derive some motivation from the set-back. To quote a Cypress Hill song... "I ain't going out like that"

This also gives me a chance to give credit where credit is due...
IOWA CITY CYCLING really did have a great race.  They had a guy in the break, were able to play a major role in chasing down the break after their guy was dropped, and then had the strength to counter and even win the race.  Not done yet, they damn near won the field sprint as well... all with just four guys, each one contributing to the outcome.  A perfectly executed race for them... congrats!

WORLD OF BIKES/BIKES TO YOU showed up in force with 7 guys... it took them awhile to get their season rolling, but once they did, they vaulted to near the top of the elite team competition for the Iowa Cup.  They put a man in a break that lasted to the very end, allowing his team to sit in for 96 miles of the race.  They were so deep with talent/strength... giving them lots of cards to play.  Their final hand resulted in 4 guys in the top ten and a bronze medal.

ZEALOUS RACING did what needed to be done to get a silver medal.  They assumed command of the peloton when their guy was the first to get dropped from the break... Their team seems to be set-up around a a team captain, and he called the shots accordingly and then came through at the end with a silver medal.

AMERICAN EQUITY did what we could with what we had... ok, that is more denial... I did sort of choke.  With about 6 miles to go the winning break of three formed and I had no response.  I was isolated without help, but by my own fault...  I relive that moment over and over... If I would have had more patience, maybe I could have latched on to the back of the final move, securing a top 4 finish... It is very hard to achieve the level of fitness necessary to successfuly compete against Cat 1,2's, especially over 108 miles... I am a strong rider, but just not quite strong enough... at least I wasn't at that exact moment. 

EAST VILLAGE CRITERIUM
Ok, if "I ain't going out like that" than how am I going out?  Maybe the East Village Criterium in Des Moines will provide me with some redemption... maybe not... I have until October 2nd to  go out on top of my game.  My form isn't faultering as I have lots of energy and motivation.   I stagnated in the middle of the summer, knowing that I had plenty to look forward to if I could accomplish a late season peak...

I love being on American Equity and feel that we are a very strong/talented compilation of Iowa riders.  We have had tons of success... however, the State Road Race was NOT one of the events we will be raising our glasses to at our end of the year dinner.  Just saying...

No comments: