Thursday, August 25, 2011

Mad Max Dropped His Nuts

I was able to get a gold medal in the Cat 2 Iowa State Time Trial Championships on Sunday...  The good news is that I have entered 4 USAC Iowa State Championship events this year and recieved 3 Gold medals... the bad news is that my TT time was slower than in years past so I am re-evaluating some of my current training agendas.  Teammate Paul Deninger came through, however and edged out Jeff Barnes of Iowa City to earn American Equity the State TT Championship... RESULTS... I should be able to post a photo or two and maybe some quick thoughts once they become available...

But in the meantime, I wanted to share a story about dropping one's nuts...

On a group ride the other day we came across a squirrel making its way across the highway.  The warm sun was casting a slight shadow across our path, yet we could still see him scampering toward the side of the road... He was carrying two nuts... most likely food for his eagerly awaiting family. When he saw us coming he had to make a split decision... to drop his nuts and save his life, or continue carrying them across the road....This was quite the risk due to the increased time it would take to dodge our wheels... yet he had a family to feed, and probably hoped to store these nuts before winter set in.

I thought about what I would do in a similiar situation...  One the one-hand a man's nuts are an important part of his livelihood... my family would be depending on me to come home with my nuts intact... yet, sometimes you have to swallow your pride for the sake of the 'big picture'... was it better to come home nutless or not come home at all?

Well the squirrel decided to drop his nuts and make a run for the side of the road...  Unfortunately, this caused us to have to dodge around the nuts... nearly causing some collisions... I wonder if the squirrel thought about the consequences of his actions... Perhaps he has advanced intelligence and was actually waiting at the side of the road... purposefully sabotaging our ride... 

This reminded me of the movie Mad Max (Mel Gibson)...  His family was killed by a bunch of renegades, and he sought to avenge the tragedy by killing those responsible...  I decided to name this squirrel 'Max'... most likely one of his relatives was run over by a vehicle of some sort and he was taking it out on us...

I road back the same way we went out and inspected the area for Max's nut droppings...  nope, he had gathered his belongings... good call Max...sometimes you can have your nuts(cake) and eat them too...

No comments: