Monday, August 29, 2011

Rundtour Duathlon... Rocking the Rhubarb

Yes, you read that right... a duathlon... I have been running about once a week for a few weeks trying to give myself a fighting chance of being competitive in a few duathlons to round out my road cycling season.  My State TT time might have suffered just a bit from this loss of focus, but I didn't want my season to end August 21st, so I sacrificed a few bike workouts for runs.  Ultimately, however I honored my commitment to the American Equity racing team by doing the bare minimum as far as running goes.

A duathlon is a different experience for a pure cyclist... It is sort of like a time trial, except the organizers make you run a 3 mile warm-up to your bike first, then don't count your finish time until after you have ran another 3 miles for the cool down.  Those runs really do mess up my average speed... :)

This duathlon occurred in the Amana Colonies and was fundraiser for the Fidelitas lodge.  It seemed to be well organized with a cool inflated finish line arc and well laid out transition area.  I eyeballed a few serious looking TT bikes, but also a lot of competitors who seemed to be new to the sport.

My strategy for this event was to try and hang on during the first 2.6 mile run, then create as big of a gap as possible on the bike... hoping to fend off the chasing runners during the second 2.6 mile run.


Photo of the Lily Lake, located within
 the Amana Colonies.
Things went according to plan during the run as I got to the transition area in about 10th place with an average clip of 5:59  per mile. 

The guys who were corner marshaling were all senior citizen type men from the lodge. They didn't quite grasp their responsibilities. About 3/4 miles into the race, some of the runners took a slight detour near Lily Lake... I elected to go straight  up the road to the corner marshall/sheriff car(as did many others), just to be on the safe side. We rejoined the runners who cut the course about 5 seconds behind, not a big deal but still a decision that I hoped wouldn't later come back to haunt me. This wasn't really their fault, it just wasn't clear where to turn. 

I was discouraged to see the leaders beginning their bike leg while I was still finishing the run, but I had sort of expected this.  I got on the bike and enjoyed the familiarity of competing on my TT set-up.  I didn't enjoy the burning sensation in my legs... it is a bit more pronounced coming off of a run.  I eventually settled in and then began passing people... quickly...  The disparity in my running compared to my cycling became obvious at this point...  my cycling speed was so much more pronounced then my running ability.


Speaking of not being clear, about 3 miles into the bike leg when I had passed all but one guy (who wasn't in my sights, unfortunately), I came to an intersection and made the wrong decision about which way the course went... I yelled an expletive, as did the guy behind me... Crap, I had to pass the same people all over again and lose some time and momentum.  I wondered why the corner marshall was sitting in his car, and not directing the cyclists and traffic.


The race information indicated that the top 2 male and female finishers received cash-payouts,so I didn't get too worked up, as I felt I had a great chance of at least a 2nd place finish.  I finally passed the leader just past the turn-around.  I knew if I extended my lead far enough I would have a great chance of winning this event.  This wasn't going to be an easy task, however, because he was wearing a Luther running tank... Yes, this guy was a pure runner with a collegiate running background... So, this was going to be a battle of the  CYCLIST vs. the  RUNNER...  exciting, I wonder who will win?  I also wondered if Andy Schleck was ever going to win the Tour De France (foreshadowing?).

I got off the bike and heard someone yell "No one in sight!"... This was very true, I would look back every once in awhile and seemed to have a great lead...  Running is sort of a dreadful experience for me, and I felt like a fish out of water...  I really only have one speed... Depending on my preparation, I can get this tempo up to a respectable pace, however this wasn't currently the situation.  I hopped around the Lily pond, hoping that no one would get within striking distance.

With less than a mile to go I saw someone way down the path... Dang.  I didn't really pick up the pace, rather reminded myself that the race paid back two places and that this could be a guy from one of the teams.  He passed me with about half of a mile to go... He didn't look like the guy I passed on the bike, so I figured this was a team competitor.  Yes!  I have won a duathlon...  I almost always come in second, but not this time.

I crossed the line well ahead of the next competitor... It is always rewarding to finish one of these things... Completely out of breath, yet a feeling of accomplishment having endured a maximal effort.  Everyone who competed has a different story, but I am sure they all enjoy the same thrill after they cross the line.
I later realized that the guy who finished ahead of me was actually an individual competitor. 

Ok, another second place in a duathlon... I have only entered about 5 duathlons over the last several years with 4 second place finishes and one first...  Not bad, but sort of an Andy Schleck Syndrome.  I gained about 5 minutes on the winner during the bike leg, but he gained about 5 and half minutes on me over the 5.2 miles of running...  A very evenly balanced duathlon... with the runner winning this time... I did have to regret making the wrong turn during the bike leg however... I think this race would have came down to the last 100 yards...

I really don't like rhubarb (almost as much as I dislike sour grapes)... I don't like the name, the way it looks,  nor the way it tastes...  So, when I later found out that they were awarding a rhubarb pie and no cash to the second place finisher I was a bit disappointed.  I looked to Karma to see where I had failed the universe...  I need to start doing some good apparently, because Karma was trying to tell me and Earl to become better humans.

Overall a great race and good times... I might try to battle the multi-sporters later in the month, or not... this time of the year I take things one week at a time.  I did end up eating half of that pie when I got home... it wasn't actually all that bad.

No comments: