Monday, September 12, 2011

The Non-Competitive Season... time to get 'cereal'...

TRAINING APATHY
I was reading an article discussing this concept and it warned that apathy could set in if one tries to be competitive all the time, training at high-intensity.  Apathy...  means "without feeling"... so training apathy would translate to "training without feeling"... 

This phenomenon seems to happen every time I find myself without a race on my calendar that I am really motivated to succeed in.  I struggle to really get into my workouts if I am not training towards specific events.  Yet, being non-competitive is feeling kind of relaxing for me, at the moment...  I am inspired by how other areas of my life have now come into focus and are receiving some overdue attention.

I am still going to enter some more races this year, but only because I decided that I don't mind racing just 'for the fun of it'... it is fun to stay in shape, challenge oneself, connect with healthy people, and advance fitness.  Most likely some trail runs and at least one cyclo-cross race just so I can wear my really cool American Equity/Velosport racing jacket. 

I train with pathy at least 9 months out of the year... so allowing 2 or 3 months of adjusted priorities isn't that out of line.    I am still training my butt off, just going to try not to be as competitive about it... I am excited to see how this approach might provide new personal insight and growth. 

No comments: