Friday, April 24, 2009

Illinois... Land of the Less Red Neck

I spend most of my solo training rides over in the great state of Illinois. Pictured above is a view from Muscatine's Mark Twain overlook, viewing the bridge that I have to use. The county roads on that side of the river, though a bit rough, have plenty of hills and minimal traffic. I ride in Illinois so often, I almost feel more connected to that state than Iowa, with respect to bike racing.

Unfortunately, whenever I go on these solo Illinois rides, I have to face two very annoying challenges.
1) Going over the bridge into Illinois and
2) Going over the bridge back into Iowa.
While riding in an automobile over the Mississippi River is an awesome experience, traversing by bike is very uncomfortable. Here is a list of the things that annoy me as I cross the bridge into the promise land...
1) Increased amount of rock and debris on shoulders
2) Wide expansion grates that seem to pound into my wheels and frame as I 'hop' over them
3) The amplified sound that the cars produce due to the cement side wall accoustics.
4) The incline adds insult to injury.
5) During the spring it is always colder and windier on the bridge than on the roads
6) Sewer grates that obligate riders to swerve over across the line.
6) The fact that I am too busy dodging debris, grates and automobiles to enjoy the beauty of the river and the landscape.
All right, this was a throw away post, but I needed to vent.
I will have some reports soon, as I have entered in both the Iowa City Cat 3 Road Race and Old Capital Criterium this weekend. I am hopeful of some success in at least one of those events.
Thanks again for reading my bridge rant.

No comments: