Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Old Capital Criterium - April 26th

Sunday turned out to be a great day for bike racing in the eclectic Iowa City Downtown District. I went to school here, so I always feel nostalgic as I make my way through town to the race. The course takes riders in a loop around the Old Capital of Iowa and right through the Ped mall area. This is a very well organized race with good payouts and competition.

I appreciate the steep incline portion of this course because it provides an opportunity for riders who are feeling stronger to flex some muscle. Of course, the hill can work against you as well, but today it was my friend, as I have never felt better pedalling up it than I did this year.

I lined up in the pole position, remembering how it took me almost 6 laps last year to make my way from the back of the pack in 2008, completely draining me. I tried the opposite approach, and led the first 3 laps. I just wanted to get those first laps over with, and was happy not to have to contend with other riders as I got a feel for the downhill 'dead man's curve'.

The first of three prime sprints was called, which inspired two riders to come around me. A fast race just got faster. Nothing too momentous occured for a few laps, as I comfortably stayed at and/or near the front. Maybe around lap 10,however Derek Cassady, from an all but forgotten team called DICE created a gap shortly after the hill.

I was at the front and opted not to bridge the group up, (ok, and also I wasn't quite physically able to just yet). The DICE team seems to be more of a development team of Cat 4/5 riders who keep their racing pretty laid back, while specializing in cyclocross events, so I regretfuly assumed this rider wouldn't be a major threat.

Unfortunately, he actually turns out to be an ISU cycling team member who won two races the weekend before with teammate Bryan Moritz. Dang, that would have been good to know prior, as he only finished 22nd in Saturday's Road Race, so he wasn't really on my radar.

Well, that was the last we saw of him as he edged up a :30 second gap and held his lead until the end. Not everyone was even aware of his move, as he was out of sight and out of mind. I was mindful, but not sure completely nailing it to bring him back would do me much good in the overall placings.

Jerome Rewerts(BikeWorld/All9Yards), Ryan Jacobsen (Atlas/Ecolips), and a guy from 'Get A Grip' (chicago area) were some of the riders I remember making definite impacts at the front of the race. Brian West from Colorbiotics (I think that is his name), made some short lived attacks as well, and I believe won a prime.

I won the third and final prime, by pushing another hard lap all the way to the line. This was awesome, because I usually don't have any success with primes, and it was a sign that the other riders weren't feeling as strong now that the race was nearing the end.

I was sitting near the front as we crossed the line for the final lap, and then again as we crested the hill... perfect position. At this point, I couldn't see any logic in holding anything back and came around the final corner in great position, though redlining to the max.

Brendan Keely (2009 Eagle Point Crit Cat 3 winner) from ICCC raced brilliantly just barely losing the field sprint for third overall. He offered me some clearasil acne creme , however, implying that he was a pimple, and the clearasil might have helped to get him off of my ass. This can be seen clearly below as he is maintaining his 'pimple position' to perfection...

I held off the charging field for 6th place (7th overall), conceding a few places over the last 200 feet. Not too bad. I believe the pimple approach would have given me the extra energy I would have needed to possibly win the field sprint, however not sure I have what it takes to be 'butt oil'. I will be working on it, over the next few weeks however, as being a 'jack-ass' isn't much better.

Sunday's Cat 3 winner Derek Cassady is a rider who needs to be taken seriously in future events. He is a phenom type rider who would have done well in the Cat 1/2 Crit race as well, based on his 15 lap solo breakaway against a competitive midwest Cat 3 field. I like the Quad City's DICE team and hope this is the beginning of many victories for them.

In the Cat 1/2 race, Steve Tilford and his teamates dominated the event. Sean Walker (World of Bikes/Bikes2You) I believe was the best Iowa finisher with a fifth place. This race got completely broken up, and was one of the first real Cat 1/2 Criterium tests for some of my former Cat 3 competitors. From talking with some of them afterwards, I can tell that the lessons learned in Sunday's race will make them successful later in the season.

Congratulations to teammate Greg Harper made the Master's 50+ podium in the Master's race that was won by Dewey Dickey of Iowa City.

I am planning on racing my pimpled ass off this year, so check back for race reports throughout the season as I will be at many events throughout the midwest, especially races in Iowa and Illinois.

- Harper's Cycling Racing Team Old Cap Crit Results Page -

No comments: