Thursday, August 14, 2008

Iowa State Criterium Championships...

Criterium racing is the 'bread and butter' of U.S. amateur cycling, so this is a huge event to settle the score, regarding who is on top of their 2008 Iowa 'crit racing game'. (Pictured above is a shot of me leading the field at the Illinois State Crit Championships this year... and below a shot of Moritz in action...I believe we can expect a similar scene at the IA State Crit). CAT 1/2 RACE... I follow the results of Iowa Cat 1/2 riders both as a fan, and because from time to time I have to race against them. Looking back on some of the bigger races across the region, I feel I can make a prediction about which Iowa Team is strongest in this discipline and therefore has a good chance of getting on the podium and earning a medal (or two).

I put my top three TEAM pics as options in the poll at the right... they are in order of my predicted outcome. All Nine Yards took all three medals last year... Wow! That had to be a bitter pill for the other teams to swallow. However, of the 12 finishers, 7 of them were from All Nine Yards... what is going on with that... they really did have a huge advantage. Lee V (now on Bikes 2 you) got the bronze however, and Sean Walker (Bikes 2 You) wasn't there (or didn't finish, I don't know)... so I maintain that B2U is very skilled in this discipline and will give All Nine Yards much worry.

I would prefer B2U to win, but I have to say All Nine Yards uses their geographic proximity, and racing talent to their best advantage and will be my favorite to earn the coveted Iowa State Crit Gold. Sean Walker... what can you say, he was a top finisher throughout the memorial day weekend races, and even went to Illinois and made the winning breakaway at their state champs. He might not win, but if a breakaway ends up winning, I will be very surprised if he isn't in it.

CAT 3 RACE... Since I am a Cat 3 racer and, therefore, follow the results closer, I created a more specific poll for this race specifying individual riders who I feel are strong candidates for the podium.

Josh Madsen won the race last year, however he is now a Cat 2. Ryan Jacobsen (of Atlas) came in second, so he gets an automatic listing on the poll. Bryan, Steve and Carson have been racing a lot this season, and have even traveled out of state to pursue criterium races. Now they get to bring back some of this experience to possibly 'school' some of us less traveled Iowa guys.

Bryan Moritz, a strong Cat 3 rider for B2U, has two noteworthy racing tactics...

The 'DOMinator' and the 'Shake and Bake'.
The 'DOMinator' involves attacking the field early in hopes of getting in a break, but then quickly relenting to the back of the pack if this doesn't work, to re-emerge to the front at the very last moment to take the win. I may not have explained this quite right, but I do know that is named after Dominic Moraniec, of Atlas.

'Shake and Bake' is only possible if Chris Hansen shows up. Basically a NASCAR tactic, that will sling-shot Bryan across a gap or the finish line. You can see it coming, but there isn't anything you can do about it. I believe Chris even yells out 'shake and bake baby!' after the move, just to rub it in a bit.

So, I have created two 'polls' on the right side. Please vote accordingly. These again are just based on my predictions as a 'fan' of the sport. Also, might generate some good 'banter'.

DU-STATE-DU
My running is way off from this spring, so not feeling as confident about the duathlon this Sunday at Loud Thunder. Maybe I will look at it as practice for this Harvest Hammer run/bike race that seems to have sparked interest from my previous entry. I am not sure I can go, but since they are throwing in free gourmet jelly beans, it is getting tempting.

The Du-State-Du is 2 mile run, 14 mile bike over hilly terrain, and then run 2 more miles. Iowa/Illinois' fastest can do it in around an hour. There is the Pigman Half Ironman Triathlon in Palo, Iowa the same day, so that eases the competition back a bit, and gives me a good shot at getting top three overall. Overall winner even gets $50. Wow, a duathlon that pays out...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Predictions

Top Teams
1. B2U
2. HBA
3. ALL9yards

Individuals
1. Moritz
2. Christian
3. Fagersten
4. Reed
5. Hetrick
6. Bishop
7. Ian Robinson
8. Greenwood
9. Finn
10. Steve Robinson
11. Carrico

Anonymous said...

wow i didnt even make the top ten? but but its good to know that most of my teamates are in the top ten. lets just say it doesnt mmatter i think there will only be a couple colors on the podium black and yellow. b2u!!!
love
beav

Chad Bishop said...

Beav was the winner of this race last year as a Cat 4 with Andrew F. in second...
The last 'Iowa Showdown' in my opinion was at the clear lake Blues/BBQ race. B2U was dominant. They had three in the top 5
Men 3 - Crit, Clear Lake, Ia
1)Bryan Moritz Bikes To You
2)Will Greenwood Bikes To You
3)Kris Kunze Rasmussen
4)Garrett Ping RVCC/Brone’s
5)Finn Kalsrud Bikes To You
6)Steven Robinson All 9 Yards
7)Ryan French Colorbiotics
8)Trent Ping RVCC/Brone’s
9)Andrew Fagersten Bikes To You
10)Chris Hansen Bikes To You

Also noteworthy, they got 4 guys in the top 5 of the road race:
1)Fin Kolsrud Bikes To You
2)Will Greenwood Bikes To You
3)Andrew Fagersten Bikes To You
4)Alec Kloss MBRC
5)Bryan Moritz Bikes To You

Anonymous said...

BtooU is overrated. Who do they really have that can contend besides Moritz? The more experienced teams like maybe HBA (Christian, Reed, Ian Robinson) will have the edge.

Carson said...

I like what anonymous is saying, but maybe this is where people get the idea that I have a big head, thinking I am saying this stuff about my team.

Thanks for what your saying, but I don't know if I am experienced enough, (maybe Chris and Ian tho)

Anonymous said...

I usually stay out of this crap, but all of this banter is ridiculous. I feel like there will be HBA and anti B2U commercials on tv soon. Lets face the facts, Carson you havent really proven yourself as a 3, Steve Robinson (not to be mean) but I don't remember ever seeing him attack, ever. Ryan Jacobsen, you had a good crit last year, but this year will be way more tactical and we have barely seen you race. Honestly, Adam Price has a better chance than all those three and he isn't even mentioned. In the end it's time for people to stop worrying about internet shit and start speaking with their legs.

Anonymous said...

O, and if beav has a mustache, watch out

Anonymous said...

Part-Timer Mike Edwards will upgrade and sprint past everyone at the end.

Chad Bishop said...

I added a poll regarding Beav's facial hair... Definately a consideration for the race.

Will, thanks for the feedback, great to hear from your perspective. I didn't mention Adam because he usually has to work on Saturdays... That reminds me of an earlier cat 3 race that was all, IA riders and should be of note when considering race favorites for the IA crit.. the eagle point criterium in Dubuque... here were the top five:
Moritz Bryan 1
JacobsenRyan 2
Price Adam 3
Fagersten Andrew 4
Reed Chris 5

Also, the 2008 Iowa City Crit:
1 – Timothy Campbell, Pista Elite
2 – Bryan Moritz, Bikes To You
3 – Brian Rach, Nova Cycle Sports
4 – John Giles, Cycle City Racing
5 – Jason Wenk, Hoiggard's/CLR/LHB
6 – Christopher Reed,HBA Racing
7 – Ryan Jacobsen, Atlas Cycling

Chad Bishop said...

"B2U is overrated"...
I wish, but after reviewing the results of their debut season their Cat 3 team is impressive.
For this race they will have 5 guys, anyone of which could win overall, and all five of them will attack at some point until something sticks... then the blocking begins.

When faced with a mainly Iowa field in a pure 'Cat 3' race they have always been a factor. It will be impossible to shut them all down, one of them is getting a medal, just not sure who it will be or which color. That still leaves 2 more medals and plenty of cash because the race pays back 8 spots.