Monday, August 11, 2008

State TT Championship - Gold (Cat 3) 2nd Overall


It was fun to be competing for the 'gold medal' with the olympic spirit energizing the world. This motivated my trip to Nichols, Iowa for the annual State Time Trial Championships 40k.

A lot larger turnout than last year (84 total), so I was immediately excited. Perfect temp, somewhat mild wind, and lots of cool bikes and ultra-fit competitors. I had only ridden my TT bike once during the last month, but I was feeling confident having gotten a silver medal (cat 3) in the 108 mile State road race the week before. Not to mention a great week of training, in large part due to that race.

I was gunning for the overall win, but still mindful of getting a 'gold' in my category. My actual prediction would have been 3rd overall, because it seemed that some of the competition was on an upward fitness swing, whereas I am in an inadvertant maintenance mode.

I was very happy to post a 53:27 which is about 27.9 mph/ave. Based on last year's winning time of 54:05, I had an initial goal of 27.5mph ave. and finishing under 55 minutes. So when I crossed the line and looked at my time, I was very thrilled. Of course, 'there is always somebody faster'... I got 2nd overall with Jeff Barnes of ICCC, finishing in 52:52. I wish he would have stayed home, but congratulations, because that is a blazing fast time. My 20k split time was 25:58.

I will admit that I did have a couple of people on my 'hope to defeat' list, and since Jeff Barnes wasn't one of them (I didn't even know who he was.. I do now), I can say I achieved success in that area as well. I would hope that a few of the competitors were trying to better me as well, that is all part of the fun and a form of motivation.

Right behind me in the overall was Sean Walker of Bikes To You (who came in 2nd last year) with a great time of 53:56. In the Cat 3 race Collier Shofield (Rasmussen's) got the silver and Adam Price earned the bronze.

Not much for tactics in a TT race, however I enjoy the fact the results are based on a rider's overall fitness approach. Not that day, but the big picture of one's training season. Nutrition, mileage, periodization, cross training, etc. Also, fun is optimizing your aero position and building a TT bike with loads of 'wind cheating' aero gear.

"3,2,1, start" Then pedal it out with powerful consistency. I usually spend my race doing mathmatical calculations regarding my speed, remaining distance, etc. It is sort of boring, and I always wonder why I am Time Trialing during the race. Afterwards, however, I always feel rewarded, having put in a great workout.

Awesome, I have gotten a medal in all three of the state championship events so far. Two events remain, the criterium in pella and then cyclocross.

I imagine their will be some great racing at the criterium. I definately don't enjoy the process of criterium racing but it would be loads of fun to race against a mainly Iowan Cat 3 field. It's on my calendar but still not sure. Cyclocross... still too early to even start thinking about that odd sport.

I am now focused on the 'du-state duathlon' this weekend in Loud Thunder. I haven't ran much lately, however I should be able to have a great bike split, which could possibly be enough for the overall win. Unfortunately, my true prediction would be 2nd (maybe third), that seems to be the trend for this year, but that would still be a great result against those freakishly healthy multi-sporters.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice ride Chad. Hope you are ready to do some jumps and attacks at Pella though...

Anonymous said...

I heard that the Harvest Hammer in Morrison Il. is back on. I then also heard that Mead's Bicycle Shop is a sponsor and part of that sponsor is Bryce Mead will compete in the event. Be interesting if you showed up to Chad.

Chad Bishop said...

Sean,
Thanks. And,yes, good point, riding fast in a straight line is MUCH different then crit racing. Each discipline, though, has its merits.

Harvest Hammer...
(5k run/21mile bike) Does Bryce even run? I found results from 2004 and he won but as a teammate paired with a runner.
When is that race, it has been recommended to me often this summer, but 2008 info doesn't seem to be posted? I will do it if I don't have any prior obligations. It is basically a 3 mile 'run-up' to the bike race. Cool.

Anonymous said...

Harvest Hammer is Sep. 20th Its a saturday. Bryce Doesn't run, it's right after Tour of Miss. And I heard he is thinking about running, but doesn't want to take a chance of injury. Maybe you could run for him? Anyways new promoter and is really trying to take the race to another level. I think you should consider doing it.

Doug said...

Hey, that jersey is not UCI legal :). You need sleeves. I think you should turn in your medal and DQ yourself :).

Chad Bishop said...

doug,

Yeah, all the people people in the multi-sport club are opposed to wearing sleeves (for swimming I guess), so I couldn't get a true cycling skin suit.

I staged that picture outside my house the next day. I had a generic skinsuit with sleeves on for the actual state time trial because it was a USCF event.

Anonymous said...

Staged picture for your blog?!? Shouldn't you lose a half dozen man-cards for that? That's pretty gay if I do say so myself.

Anonymous said...

i heard mead drops jelly bellies along the race route so runners are distracted and thats how he gains an advantage over the others. I am pretty confident in my sources and thats all I am going to say about that.

Carson said...

Chad,
I know earlier in the spring you said you had a TT Frame that was to big for you and would fit someone over 6'.

Do you still have it??

Anonymous said...

What is Man Cards. I am for sure doing Harvest Hammer, if that Mead dude is there, then Im there. I will stop and pick up those Jelly Belly's And that is all I got to say about that D Dog.

Chad Bishop said...

Carson,

No I sold that one on e-bay to help finance purchasing my new one.