Friday, August 1, 2008

Iowa State Road Race... Continued

If you haven't checked out the first post on this topic, scroll down to it, there are some great comments. Feel free to continue to add any additional comments there or on this entry. Writing that entry and reading the comments, is making this race even more fun. Now there seems to be a narrative to the event. This provides yet another reason to enter... just so I can have a ringside seat of the action as everyone is battling it out.

Above is a picture Nate Moenck winning last year's RR as a Cat 3, ahead of Lou Waugaman, Lane Anderson and Sean Walker. Josh Madsen is also pictured, who finished 5th.

I know how to ride a bike 100 miles, but will admit I have never raced 100 plus miles. How does the feed zone work if you don't have a person to do the hand-out? Do I launch my water bottles prior to the zone, then pull to the side, and grab my bottles off of the table? Will everyone keep it sort of neutral as we are in this area, or do people attack? Do I carry all of my food with me, or is that too much added weight? Is there a website I can go to learn how to urinate while still on my bike? Any thoughts would seriously be appreciated, I haven't gotten a hand-up, ever. (Oh, I guess I did get one in a cyclocross race, but I won't be as interested in beer Saturday until after the race)

Good luck to all racing the many events on Saturday, and thanks to the coordinators, this is going to be a very memorable day for many riders.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

piss and shit your pants...i hear that keeps people from following your wheel

Anonymous said...

My money is on Steve Robinson. He's such a smart rider. He never is in the wind. Stay on his wheel and you'll be where the action is.

Wacko said...

I know Pete isn't making friends calling people delusional, but I am going out on a limb that I will not make any enemies when I call Anony delusional, because I am just hoping to make 2 laps before I pull off and do hand ups. :)