Thursday, October 8, 2009

mountain biking or cyclocross?

Not really a tough decision for 'roadie' types, including myself.  The Sugarbottom Scramble, which was slated to be my mountain bike racing debut, was unfortunately cancelled last week and moved to this Sunday.  Much to the dismay of the organizers, this conflicts with an already scheduled psychlocross race that is part of the DICE series...Old Towne Vandecross, in Moline, Ill (just across the river).

This scenario reminds me of why I have never taken to racing a mountain bike.  I would have to drive to a trail system just to ride, and the trails are often closed to preserve their integrity.  It also seems like a huge advantage to be familiar with the race course, a luxury that I would only have for the sugarbottom event. Having said that, I will plan on racing the sylvan island stampede next spring, just to see what racing a mountian bike is like.  Who knows, maybe I am good at it.

Well, I am contemplating not racing cross this season and doing other training , but don't think I have the inner will power to literally sit at home knowing others are jumping over hurdles, riding through mud/sand, and running their bikes up hills.  So, most likely I will be pegging it at the park this Sunday.

The main question for me is Cat 3/4 or Master's 30+.  The Cat 3/4 is 15 minutes shorter and pays out better, but is usually  filled with Cat 2/3 roadies who can't stand the possibility of being lapped (including myself), so they enter this shorter event, which also doesn't include some of those regional cyclocross phenoms that spoil the event by being virtually impossible to beat. This year that seems to be names like bailey, eppen, nichols, fitzpatrick, kullborn, etc.

Sugarbottom, DICE Cyclocross or bench presses in my basement...  hmm?

2 comments:

Doug said...

Oh, do the CX race :). Do BOTH the 3/4 and the 30+ races :), it is just like doing a crit.

Me, this weekend I am going to do a 5k foot race... no cross this weekend local to me.

Chad Bishop said...

doug, Yeah, maybe I will try doing both, though, I can say the second race will be brutal, because I will be somewhat exhausted with only a 40 minute break between races.

good luck at the run, that is good cross training. maybe you will over do it and injure yourself, that way you can switch your focus back to cycling. though, duathlons could be in your future.