Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Vandecross - DICE Cyclocross series


Well, I think I had a good time at the Vandecross event in Moline, IL, not sure.  I can say I was completely wiped out afterwards, which, oddly enough, is reward enough to justify my attendance.  I always feel good after a hard race effort.

I decided to try to see how I could do in the Master's 30 + series this year, having gotten 3rd overall in the Cat 3/4 last year.  Watching the cat 3/4 race, I was sort of relieved, because the lead guys seemed to be really tearing it up.  Ron Bridal, Kevin McConnell and Jeff Bradley took the first three positions.

Cyclocross is a great workout and a very refreshing change from the road season.  Having said that, it can be discouraging trying to compete against some of these guys who just seem to be competing at a completely different level.  This might explain why only 4 people lined up for the 'A' race... the Cat 1,2,3,4 open.   This race paid out the most and was the most presitgious, yet maybe no one really felt capable of competing against the likes of guys like Brian Eppen.  Depending on who shows up, the top three paying places are usually taken by cyclocross phenoms, leaving the other 95% of the cyclocross racing population to ride around hoping to avoid getting lapped.  Well, that race paid back 5 spots, so they all got paid just for entering... nice.

Well, I ended up 4th out of 5 (masters 30+) and 6th out 10 (masters 30/40+).  The Cat 1/2/3 guys started about 45 seconds ahead of us, and the masters 50/60+ guys started about 45 seconds after us, so the results are a bit confusing.  Steve Bullerman won the Masters 30+, Bruce Grell won the Masters 40+ and Brian Eppen won the Open event with Nate Kullborn in second.  The guys in my race were in great shape and good competitors, so the series will be every bit as challenging and rewarding as I had hoped (ok, maybe a bit more challenging, but oh well).

No comments: