Tuesday, January 15, 2008

1st Race/1st Win

Saturday January 12th, was my first race of the year, Rollers at our Race HQ, Harper's Cycling. I wasn't really as up for the roller season as last year, because I got plenty of late season competition with the cyclocross season, but I couldn't resist a race that was only a 10 minute drive.

I pulled off the win with a 5:28.1 which smashes my last year PR of 5:46. Hopefully this is an indication of good things to come in 2008. Lots can still go wrong with my training, but if I just stick to the plan, it should be all good.

In general the 'Harper's Cycling Team' made good on the home court advantage. Bill Ford came in second in the Cat 4 race with a time of only 5:40. He finally has a 'sand-bagging' excuse that is believable this year, in that he had a major surgery, and is still on meds and doctor's restrictions. The only contradiction is that a time of 5:40 is blazing fast and next to impossible for most riders, so I am suspicious that the alleged 'surgery' was a mere hoax, designed to cover up the side effects of his latest mixture of illegal doping supplements.
Pictured below are podium shots of Greg and brother Bill Harper for the 40+, and Jon Sulzburger breaking his PR to get under 7minutes and a third place in the cat5's.


Tracy Thomson of 'Bikes 2 You' set a new state record with his 2 mile effort.


I will probably do at least three roller races so I can qualify for a medal and get some points towards the state champs team competition, in which we finished a respectable 10th last year.

No comments: