Wednesday, January 9, 2008

January 2008, let's start blogging














Ok, with a new year, I decided to try some new things. First, my main resolution is to be more friendly to females, so I don't end up relating to 'Scott Baio is 45 and Single' in a decade or so. Second, I wanted to start a cycling blog, since I have been enjoying reading everyone elses. I also get inspired to train harder when I read local cycling blogs. I especially appreciate the race rundowns that alot of cyclist submit, it is great to re-live the race through a competitor's eyes.

I was perusing the USA Cycling website and was shocked to see that I am ranked 7th in the Nation as a Cat 4 Road Racer! Pictured is a shot from the 2007 Hummer Hammer, which is one of the three races that was used to yield that ranking. I finished 7th, in a very competitive field. Fortunately, I also raked in some serious points by winning the Illinois State Champ race (Cat 4, 30+).
Most of the guys I aspired to beat throughout the 2007 season, have upgraded to Cat 3, so needless to say that is one of my main goals for the season. However, I wouldn't mind a month or two of being that guy at the start line, that gets 'called out' for not upgrading (aka, sandbagging). In order to do that, I will have to do well at the start of the season.Who knows though, maybe I peaked last year, and I will be stuck as a Cat 4.

I race for the Harper's Cycling and Fitness Racing Team. We are in the process of getting our new jersey's for 2008-09. I think they will look great, not to mention keeping us from getting run over by traffic, thanks to their high visibility. Below is a sneak peak.


Our team is affiliated with the Melon City Bike Club. I am too obsessed with racing and fitness goals to do many of the recreational rides, but it is a good club. I have a slight aversion to wearing melons on my clothing, but I was born in Muscatine, (which apparently used to be famous for selling melons from the island) so I am getting used to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good to see you up on the blog thing. Still think there should be more watermellons on the new uniform but I put my order in anyway. Working out the details on building a new cross bike for next season. Not too sure on the summer season. My son is getting old enough to ride a full size road bike, so maybe more timetrials for him. Wouldn't hurt me either! See ya come spring, happy off season. Izzy