Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lactate Threshold Testing - Harper's Racing Team

Today we all met at the shop for some Lactate Threshold testing on Joe Mann's Velodyne. Essentially, this "Ride Until You Die" test increases the wattage every thirty seconds, maxing out at 412 Watts at the 9min, 30 second mark, for a total time of 10 minutes, if you can make it that long. Apparently, only three members have made it that far, Bill F, Greg H, and myself.

First up was Bill Harper (left), smiling here because the test hasn't actually started. He had the highest heart rate of the day with a 200bpm, and was able to hang on until the 8min 30second mark. He then stood up and battled out the next 30 seconds, his heart rate obviously acknowledges his pain.

Mike Doyle stepped up next, and hammered out a solid ride, 'dying' at the 8min 30 second mark.

Next came the team's most agressive 's*&t' talker, the infamous mister Bill Ford. Pictured below he is pretending to listen to Joe's words of encouragement, in reality he was trying to figure out how he could make this LT test into a competition.


Bill was able to ride the full 10 minutes. Unfortunately, we allowed him to go ahead of me and Greg, so we had no idea how brutal his post-ride attacks would be on us while we were riding. If we would have known we would have stepped up the harassment.

I went next. Being new to the experience, I allowed our team exercise physiologist to explain the principles behind the test.

As I pedaled through the test, Bill Ford unleashed his attacks. He decided I looked like Ralph Machio, the Karate Kid, due to my white head band. As much as I wanted to comment, I knew that would throw off my oxygen intake, so I repressed my rage.



I kept a steady speed and tried to keep my effort relaxed. Hoping to make it to the ten minute mark, and get some good data confirming my LT heart Rate.

I rode the full 10 minutes, peaking at the 412 watt mark, when the test concluded. My heart rate at that point was 174bpm. I felt that I could have gone a bit longer, however, I had long since crossed my Lactate Threshold heart rate which ended up being 163. I will now be able to use this number to do interval and LT training throughout the year. After, I caught my breath, I replied to all of Bill's remarks.

Last up was Greg Harper. Little did he know, I have been training with Bill Ford on the fine elements of mental harassment, so he was in for a rough ride, as me and Bill tried every trick in to book to slow him down with our 'jedi mind tricks'. Below is a list:

1) We began by swarming around him, claiming to be sucking all of the oxygen out of the air. I proceeded to deeply exhale, attempting to fill the air with as much carbon dioxide as possible.

2) As pictured, Greg opted to wear a head band from his '80's breakdancing days. The result, Bill F. began his Sylvester Stallone impersonation, and Greg became hereafter known as "Rambo".
3) I began to attack his declining speed... This inspired Greg to actually use precious oxygen as he cursed at my comments.
4) Having achieved an edge in the competition to see who could disrupt Greg's test the most, Bill Ford stepped it up a notch, bringing attention to the 'thong panties' that Greg was apparently wearing under his biking shorts. Pictured below is a rare, never before seen, photo of Bill Ford as the S$%t actually spews from his demented mind. Not sure why, but this friendly banter, actually does make, an otherwise 'painful' test sort of fun.
Greg wasn't able to actually wait until his heart rate went back below the aerobic state, he began serving me and Bill with his non-verbal 'finger birdies'. I believe that he flipped me and Bill off twice each, however since I scored bonus points earlier, when Greg cursed at me during the ride, I claim victory as the best trash talker of the day.
So, overall, we all got in a good work-out and have a great start to the 2008 season. Hopefully, we will be able to get some good base building miles in over the next couple of months, and be ready for many rewarding races in the spring, as we capitalize on this 'off-season' training.

No comments: