Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tiime to start loggin miles

Ok, I guess since the daylight savings adjustment has given us more afterwork light (and less excuses), I have no choice but to start riding outdoors. Don't get me wrong, riding outside is what it is all about, but it is still sort of nasty out. Puddles, mud, windchill, frozen toes, etc.
But this is when we seperate the men from the boys, and the girls from the punk rockers.
I have 110 outdoor miles for the year. I assume I am way behind most serious cyclists, but I have a plan... oh yes, I have a plan and I am exactly on schedule.

I have developed sort of an addiction to jogging on the treadmill, but I have to try and cut that down to once a week. Jogging creates dead powerless legs, sure it helps Cardio and VO2 Max, but nothing trains one for cycling better than cycling.

Our first tuesday night ride reminded me what my season would be like racing against pure cyclists, if I didn't shift my priorities. I was hanging in there, but didn't feel very powerful. So, yes, I took off lots of weight through running, so my power to weight ratio would be improved, except now I have to switch back to getting the power up. When and if this happens, I will be in peak form.

The first 'stop ahead' sign sprint of the year goes to Bill Harper, Congratulations! It is always nice to leave mr. wiford speechless, as he missed his chance to pop the cherry of our virginal tuesday sprint.

Muscatine now has a new Multisport Club, which I am a part of, so I will keep running, but only once a week (assuming I can beat this addiction). I figure I may get creamed on the running portions of duathlons, but should be able to make up time on the bike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the 7 mile lead out Chad & Wifford. I'll be sure to return the favor. I can be bribed with pretty much any food item. It's nice to get the first sprint victory out of the way so early in the year. With a little luck maybe I have more in me. Until next time...... Cycling Panther