Saturday, October 11, 2008

Cross Country Running

I entered the Muscatine High School's fundraiser 5k Cross Country running race this morning. It was held in the Discovery Park, which, by the way, would make an excellent Cyclo-cross course. Basically running through single track, over bridges, up and down hills, etc.

My reasoning is that the race very closely simulated a cyclo-cross race, but without a bike... so pure cardio and leg burning. Sure, I didn't have to carry a bike on the 'run-ups', but I just went that much faster, so got the same intense feeling of agony, as follows a cyclo-cross run-up.

I ran the course in 21minutes, (6min 45sec/mile), which I was told wouldn't quite qualify me to be on the MHS varsity cross country team (assuming I was still in high school). I guess their top guys can do it in around 18 minutes.

Well, I think I have a solid training strategy, as I am hoping to have some success in the DICE cyclocross Cat 3 series, in which the top 3 finishers over the course of 4 events get a trophy and some cash. I will admit, I am not too sure how, or if, I can get a state cyclocross medal in this discipline, but that is still a consideration, as I may opt to head to altoona in nov. for the championships, either as a Cat 3, or a master.

Sunday, I have a high tempo-paced group ride scheduled as well. I am hoping the local racers can summon up some more latent fitness.

No comments: