Monday, October 20, 2008

Devil's Cross

Raced in Bettendorf Sunday at the first DICE cyclocross event of the season. Great day, great course, but I was definately injured going in. I paid my $25 registration fee, hopped on my bike, and upon rehearsing the first dismount section, I nearly turned around and tried to get my money back because I was only able to 'hobble' over the hurdles.

As I mentioned in the previous entry, I was wondering if maybe racing on an injury is the smartest thing, but ultimately, no worries, I am no more or less injured then before the event, and I have a result that I can be proud of, and use as momentum as the season progresses.

Actually, as the adrenaline took over, I was able to reduce the hopping a bit, however I still looked extremely rough through the dismounts. Ironically, this injury wouldn't even be a factor during any other time of the year, because only my running is affected, oh well.

So, not sure if I was going to make it past the first lap, I lined up in the second row, and planned on going through the first dismount section towards the rear of the pack, just to avoid the embarasment of potentially stopping dead in my tracks. If you have ever raced cyclocross, you should know that this strategy all but gaurantees that you won't win... Well, at least the pressure was off, I was only hoping to finish and get some points in the DICE cyclocross series Cat 3/4 division.

Ok, after the first lap, I knew I was going to finish, even though I was losing ground each time I got off of the bike, so I began to enjoy the prospect of actually trying to get into the top three (podium, sort of).

Adam Price, Carl Buchanan, Will Greenwood, Chris Reed, a single speed guy and myself emerged as the leading group, as I was beginning to feel a top five finish. At some point I heard Chris Reed hit the ground hard ... hmm, ok... top four finish. (he ended up being alright and even clawed his way back up to a respectable finish).

Adam and Carl slowly created a gap leaving me and Will to chase. He was stonger on the running portions but I was stronger on the bike as we exchanged leads a couple of times before I gradually left him behind.

No shot in hell of catching the two leaders, so mainly looking over my back from time to time to make sure I wasn't losing any ground to the two guys behind me. I was content to finish third. However, in cyclocross crashing, losing a chain, etc are always just a pedal stroke away, so I began to exert extra focus on effective execution through the technical portions of the course.

Cool, third place, won my entry fee fack and I don't think I have to amputate my leg, as it is sore but somewhat functional.

I can't say that I would have placed any higher without the injury, but I do believe I would have led some of the initial laps, and had a much less stressful experience.

6 comments:

Doug said...

Maybe you should take time off of racing to let your injured leg heal? You don't want to be getting surgery or something in March, think what that would do to your road season. Maybe you should go to the doctor and get your leg checked.

Chad Bishop said...

doug,

yes, good points. It seems to be the calf muscle, and is now really just a 'sore' feeling when I extend the muscle. I will see what I can do about resting.

Anonymous said...

just pretend every race is the harvest hammer and puss out so your leg can heal...

Chad Bishop said...

oh great, the harvest hammer guy is back on the attack... I think you have to wait at least until next spring to start in on me about that race.

just a consideration, if I race everything on my calendar, I will have entered 43 races this year. Sorry the harvest hammer wasn't one of them, but I am tentatively planning on racing it next year.

either way thanks for your interest in my blog.

Anonymous said...

I must agree with anonymous you are a big pussy. I mean Bryce Mead is selling his altitude tent. Race 73 races last year, half being Pro Tour. And he still showed up and did it. And he doesn't race cross. So his race year is way shorter than yours. I think it was a big mistake on your part not going to the hammer. Your loss. I heard Bryce isn't retiring, just getting real. And he said that he will be back to do that lame ass 20k TT in May in The QC and instead put some real effort behind it and beat you by 2 minutes. And still make you go home to your momma and cry. Carl

Chad Bishop said...

carl, you are cracking me up. I can't tell if you are serious or not, but I am genuinely entertained by your passion for this harvest hammer race.

Not sure calling the DICE 20k TT championships 'lame ass' is called for. I can say, though, that I am not sure 'pro' riders should be allowed to race in the same division as amateurs. He raced 73 times? That is the point... pro riders have way more time to train and compete, so really isn't an even playing field.

Anyway, there is no way he would beat me by two minutes. If I match my 2008 time (28.38mph), he would have to jump from about a 29.5mph pace to a 30.7mph pace. How is that going to be possible for him without his oxygen tent?

hmmm, why I am even thinking about that right now? Winter is coming, lots of cyclocross and roller races still to come.