Thursday, October 2, 2008

Dirty Days

Dusted off the cross bike wednesday and took a spin around town (ok, I actually didn't even bother to dust it off, or even oil the chain). I figured I better have at least ridden it once before I race on it.

I am sure that I freak people out when I am on this bike, because I end up riding through ditches, running up hills, jumping curbs, etc. I try and stay off of the cement as much as is possible in an urban setting.

Below is a picture of some 'dirt stainage' resulting from wiping out taking a corner to aggressively in Muscatine's Discovery Park.

My helmeted head hit the ground, I slid several feet...but dirt is soft, forgiving, absorbant, acutally sort of a delightful experience. I recommend it. Time stood still as I slid across the grass... I pondered what I was having for dinner, whether or not I was getting any training benefits from this ride, how Lance Armstrong finished mid-pack at a recent cyclo-cross race, wondered why I wasn't trying to protect my head, and then, just as I was beginning to formulate answers to these questions, the crash was over... bummer. Hop back on, do a quick physical inventory for any serious injury... nope, dang, more dirty days ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you crash, let's see some blood.
It's October you know.