Monday, December 15, 2008

'What are you looking at? Wanna fight?"

I stumbled upon a new way to 'cross train' this winter, that will provide multiple benefits... FITNESS BOXING.

I received an Everlast heavy bag and gloves for my birthday and am excited to begin weekly boxing workouts that will help develop my core, cardio, strength, and self-esteem. I am learning all of the various boxing moves (uppercut, jab, knee to the groin, etc.) as well as boxing fitness routines that include jump rope, push-ups, squats, etc.
As an added bonus, I am also planning on learning how to street fight. Yes, I am getting tired of getting my ass kicked walking down the dark alleys of Downtown Muscatine on my way home from ballet rehearsal. Being able to defend yourself is definately not a bad thing.
Perhaps my new 'street fighting' capabilities can help me to intimidate USCF referees into seeing things my way, whenever I need to contest the results. I suppose if I do poorly at a crit, I can blame another racer for bumping my wheel, or not keeping his line. Then challenge him to a post-race smackdown.

I will post some pictures, maybe video, of my training as it progresses. Currently, I am recovering from a sprained wrist, as I didn't wrap my hand properly during Saturday Night's 1am 'demo' class that I held in my basement.

I did get OUTSIDE both saturday and sunday on the bike for good workouts. I definately feel very confident about my winter fitness plan. I will enter a few Roller Races to confirm my form and motivate my training. I am hoping to medal in the Cat 1,2,3 Iowa State Roller Championships. I was a silver medalist as a Cat 4, so I will have my work cut out for me to acheive success at this next level.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please spare us from this nonsense.
Seriously, you will get your ass kick by the bag. Your not tough, and you seem like a weak lttle puss. First I had to hear about your butt splits in Yoga, now all of a sudden your a wanna be badass I dont buy it.