Thursday, June 12, 2008

brain injured biking

Ahh, I don't know...
my injury in my left leg has traveled up to my brain in the form of burn-out, I think. I have been torn between resting my leg/recovering with the 'need for speed' in continued training. Unfortunately, neither effort is gaining any ground and my wheels are spinning.

Not training makes me feel uninspired and devoid of meaning, yet peddaling around without a goal and not at 100% is equally depressing.

I thought maybe wednesday's duathlon training would help... nope cancelled because of flooding. So I hopped on the treadmill and tried to run at my fast pace for 3 miles... nope could only go 2.6miles. I thought maybe riding in Iowa City thursday would help... nope severe storming at 70% with a tornado watch so not going. I thought... nope no more thinking, I am just in a rut. I got the Funk Soul, Brother.

Well, I did ride 100 miles monday. Man that was boring. The skies were gloomy, the scenery flat and uneventful, the roads bumpy and filled with cracks. The extra mileage made my leg hurt more, and ultimately just got really hungry and tired over the next two days.

I bought a container of frosted sugar cookies and ate most of them in one night. Right in the middle of a set of push-ups I stopped, and wondered 'what is the point'. I also stopped weighing in the mornings, I got a comment that I looked better when I wasn't as skinny, so being at race weight is no longer even a rewarding accomplishment.

I am still in pretty good shape, if I can just find some motivation to 'train' towards some sort of goal. There are 3 solid months of summer ahead of us, I am sure I will dig something up here soon? On the other hand, all of this extra sun exposure does cause premature skin aging and increased risk of skin cancer... oops, I am still down, for a moment there I almost had a positive thought. I better sign off until I have something more inspiring to blog about, which I hope will be soon.

6 comments:

Doug said...

100 miles on Monday, don't you work? Or do you get off at like three?

Sunscreen!

Chad Bishop said...

doug,
Yes, I forgot to mention that part, I used some vacation time, and took off about 2pm, got home before 7pm.

Anonymous said...

You need a girlfriend badly!!!

Anonymous said...

are you doing the team time trial in the beginning of july? send me a "feedback" on my blog and put your email address in the box (not the comment section so that everyone and their grandma can get your email addy) cuz if you're not i have a favor to ask of you

Doug said...

You do know the dude who wrote "Roadie: the Misunderstood Life of A Bike Racer" lives here in MI. I kind of know him.

Carson said...

Ha, thanks Chad!

Yea, thats why I am going out there, to get smart and some good fitness for SuperWeek.

I am fully looking to get my ass handed to me, but maybe get lucky or help out a bit!