Thursday, June 19, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I filled out my racing/training calendar for the next two months, and things are taking shape. Looks like I have four 'goal' events in august, therefore July and the rest of June can be used to build up to another fitness peak. I suppose a little mental/physical burn-out after building up to a peak goal is normal. Having an injury didn't help. I will keep that in mind next year at around this time.

I still am not sure whether I am a 'roadie' or a 'multi-sporter' but I don't mind this confusion, because I believe the cross training will create a 'cheeky' fitness advantage when cyclo-cross season arrives late september.

SUPERWEEK- 6 back to back bike races in Wisconsin will be used to sharpen my form for my August 'goal' events. (unless I chicken out). The hotel room is only $70 for up to four people and the drive is only around 4 hours, so this isn't really all that unrealistic of a notion. I am planning on doing the races from Saturday July 19th to Thursday the 24th (4 crits, 2 Road). My cousin lives near Waterloo (Trek HQ), so maybe some hosting. Anyone interested in this agenda, and possibly able to form one of those 'composite' team trips to save on gas/lodging, let me know in the next week or two. That might help convince me to actually go through with this thing.

Living large in Milwaukee for 5 days, should also be a nice change of pace. I have to make sure to duck out of town, though before the Downer's Avenue Race on Saturday, also known as the Belgian Beer Fest. (Bikes and Beer...That is a combination that could spell trouble).TUESDAY NIGHT TRAINING-
Tim Campbell, Cat 3 Road Racer and Triathlete has been joining us for our group training rides which leaves from the Harper's Bike Shop, Muscatine, IA at 6pm. Having new cyclists join us, like Tim, makes the work-out that much more fulfilling. So, Adam Price, Scott Fett and anyone looking for a change from their usual Tuesday night ride, please feel free to join the group from time to time this summer.

2 comments:

Doug said...

Have you ever done Superweek?

Chad Bishop said...

Doug,
No never done superweek. Sounds like possibly a good exerience though, maybe even a rite of passage for a bike racing enthusiast.
Crits aren't my favorite, but they are the 'bread and butter' of U.S. racing, so I might as well try and get better at them.