Friday, June 6, 2008

Summer Heat

Finally, the heat is here. May of 2007 had an average temperature of 63 degrees, 2008 was only 53 degrees (according to my gas bill). I thought I was becoming a wimp, still wearing arm warmers late into may, but in actuality it has just been much colder than usual.

Not the case on thursday. The heat and humidity caused my heart rate to rise quicker than usual, I actually had a sensation of intense thirst while training, and when I finished I was completely soaked with perspiration. Also, it was the first time I thought obligated to put sports drink mix in both water bottles.

This is the good stuff. We don't have to ride as far or as long to get the same work-out. Fitness peaks will start to surface for most, as it is the best time of the year to drop the excess body fat that may have been holding you back. And, just because we could get the same workout with less mileage, everyone seems to bike just as far and as hard, so fitness can really blossom.

1 comment:

Doug said...

No, it has been COLD.

Yeah, I am still fat, 155 pounds last night, should be 149 at this point in the season :(.