Thursday, July 17, 2008

108 Miles for State Road Race

oops, I just checked my weekly mileage for last week, it was 132 miles (again for the entire week). Also, I laid it out last night for 54 miles, and felt pretty sore later that night and this morning, so am I ready to race twice as long in about 2 weeks for the iowa state road race in west branch?

Probably not, but as the organizer mentioned, this race will be 'epic'. Ryan Jacobsen of Atlas already questioned the distance on bikeiowa.org yahoogroups, which makes me think most cat 3's will be equally under trained for this distance... therefore an equal playing field, so let's go for it.

Riding with Cat 1/2's who will probably attack early to get rid of the weak won't help matters. I imagine by lap 3 most of us will be on solo rides overcoming new levels of pain and suffering. Fortunately for me, I like the suffering part and the challenge, I was very surprised to see 108 miles, though, and still am.

Well, there is no way to actually be 'prepared' for this distance (especially considering it was just announced today), but I am going to try and log longer rides, just in case I end up hoping to be competitive that day.

My guess is that they will re-think this decision and lower the cat 3 race to 81 miles like the masters races. My vote, however is to keep it as it is, I am oddly inspired by this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

108 miles for a Cat 3 Road Race, Why does bike racing have to be so hard? Is the Iowa State Road Race always this long? I don't know who the promoters of this race are but they must be some sadistic bastards!

Chad Bishop said...

Last year it was 80 miles (8 laps) for the cat 1,2,3's and 40 miles for masters and cat 4/5's. However, there were quite a few hills each lap, so still an 'epic' ride for the cat 3's.

I cramped out doing the 40 mile race last year, but my form should be better this year.

Anonymous said...

So if the Iowa RR is always longer, why r people bitching?

Chad Bishop said...

Ian,

Yes, good point, apparently it has always been extremely long and hilly, a sort of 'traditionally' challenging race to earn the 'state championship'.

However, I think the issue has to do specifically with a typical cat 4 racer that upgrades to a 3, not expecting that this means having to double their current training load to compete in 108 mile races, having done only 40 mile races as a 4. Quite a jump.

If there were enough Cat 3's in Iowa competing, I am sure they would have us do the 81 mile route as a seperate race, and let the 1/2's who, in theory train harder and longer to compete at this very elite level, have their own 108 mile race.

I am in either way. See you there!

Pete Basso said...

This is an interesting topic for a number of different reasons. First of all, it is good that we are having to challenge ourselves with 108 miles. Yes, this distance makes me very nervous but it also lets me know where I stand when considering an upgrade to be a Cat 2 in the future. I think there are two many 2's that upgraded when they really hadn't earned it. But such is the life of racing bikes in IA.

Something I was told by a local coach was to take this race, (if it is not a target A race), and use it as a means for training. Use it as a way to work for your stronger teammates that will contend for the finish. Myself...I'll be helping Lou try to take the "W". IF that means going strong for 2, 3 or 4 laps then so be it.

Long distance isn't my thing, but I can go out there and race like it is and try my best. It will be a race of attrition with many DNF's on the last lap. If you can hold it all together then you have a chance of finishing well. Good luck Chad, you are riding strong this year and I know you will do better than you think. See you in a couple of weeks.