Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Iowa City Training Rides

I have been hitting up the rides that meet at College Park in Iowa City on Tuesday/Thursdays every once in awhile this summer.

Lots of strong riders. I really can say I am jealous of what an awesome training tool this is for those who live in the Iowa City area. It is sort of like a free training camp, with some of the best riders in Iowa. I imagine Des Moines' 'Tuesday Night World Championships' are just as 'epic', and perhaps some of the others that are based in larger populations.

If you are not on Atlas or Mercy/Specialized you may feel a bit like a 'guest', because it is basically their team training ride, though open to the all those who are up for a fast-paced ride. I can admit to being a bit anxious sometimes about getting a flat or being dropped in the middle of nowhere, but other than that, quite a good work-out and lots of fun.

Last night, lost contact with the remants of the group (quite a few dropped riders already), towards what I thought was the end of the ride. (we were doing the Iowa State RR course). Turns out we were 6 miles from West Branch and about 12 miles from Iowa City. Oops, I was out of fluids, food, had no money, and didn't for sure now how to get home. Of course, no lights either, so worried that I would get caught out in the dark. Luckily, I could still see the group up the road through West Branch so made the correct path home.

The rides in Muscatine are actually very impressive considering how small of a town it is... thankfully there is a good bike shop that supports group rides. On the other hand, you guys from Iowa City, Des Moines, etc, shouldn't take for granted how beautifully and consistently painful and well-attended your tues/thurs rides are.

1 comment:

IZZY said...

Chad, Got your reply on my blog. Yea i agree that the closer the racing the better. I've been looking for places for a while now. But today that took a hit. got chased out of my favorite park for training in Milan, IL by the police. Not sure how many years you get for wearing spandex and jumping over hurdles with a bike but didnt want to chance it.Hope your training is on track. Talk to ya soon. Ty