Thursday, July 10, 2008

Multi-Sport Training Race

Road my TT bike out to Wild Cat Den State Park to do a Muscatine Multi-Sport Training Race. We ran out 2 miles, biked 20k, then another 2 miles. This is also known as a 'brick' workout, and I can say there is nothing quite as painful as getting off of the bike after a hard ride and then running all out.

HEAT/HUMIDITY: Sort of an eye opener, my previous running efforts had all been indoors or first thing in the morning before the heat kicked in. This obviously creates a new challenge for the body's physical systems. My heart rate was maxed out as I began pedalling the TT, and stayed much higher than usual, creating for a much slower average pace.

There is a great Bicycle, Blues & BBQ race this weekend in Clear Lake Iowa. It is also an Iowa Cup Race, so I imigine it will be well attended. Pro rider, Tom Zirbel won the RR last year. Sort of a far drive and larger committment than what I am comfortable with, especially considering my questionable fitness and current distaste for cornerning.

So, I will hang with the Quad City cyclists this weekend and the ABR, by attending Donnie Miller of DICE cycling's racing events. A road race in Rapid City Illinois, then a 40k TT in Cordova, Ill. Mostly interested in the TT, since I did it last year and came in 10th overall. I should be able to improve upon that, I guess it depends on who shows up. Top three get trophies... I do love those trophies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dont be a wuss! get to clear lake for some real racin.
beav

Chad Bishop said...

ah man... called out... with a simply put, but basically true comment... maybe I will have to change up my plans...

Anonymous said...

That's not a brick workout, that's a Douchathlon; an event designed for people who are too chicken-sh$t to swim.

Unknown said...

Haha....you got it Randy. Swimming and biking should be the Duathlon!!

Chad man!!! Good luck with where ever your racing. I think you should come out to SuperWeek so I know a racer!!!

See ya soon hopefully

Chad Bishop said...

Swim/Bike/Swims are called 'aquathons' for those who 'fear the fartlek'.

Maybe I will take a dip at clear lake to see if I should swap Michael Phelps as my new role model, replacing Lance Armstrong.