Tuesday, July 29, 2008

We Interrupt Your Originally Scheduled Training...

I got nailed with some non-cycling obligations and just a touch of motivation deprivation, so what could have been a sweet week of training, ended up being one of my longest stretches off the bike in many many months.

Thursday - had to put in monster hours at work, - no riding.
Friday-Should have ridden in afternoon, but missed it.
Saturday - Work in morning, with son rest of day (and not a babysitter in site, grandma was at RAGBRAI)
Sunday - With my son and unmotivated to find a sitter
Monday - suffering training withdrawal

In my perfect training schedule for last week, I would have ridden a group ride thurs (or RAGBRAI), two bee race sat. and 100 miler with club on sunday. So, I only missed my mark of 250 miles by about 150 miles. Oops.

Well, I literally buckled my belt one notch wider this morning. Not sure where that puts me for competing in a 108 mile cat 1,2,3 road race this saturday (maybe at home sulking?). I am hoping to get back on track this week. No way to get the belt back to 'race position', for saturday's race, but maybe saturday can be a 'leap frog' event that puts me in good form for events later in the summer and fall.

The plan, then, is to just resume my training plan as if everything was going accordingly. Maybe some fellow racers had a slightly less than admirable week of training, or can relate to having weeks like this, during the racing season.

It would be nice if all of my fellow Iowa racers can take this week off, so that I can 'catch back on'. Come on, I'll let lead you out at the finish line, promise.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should do a pretty good job on Sunday in West Branch if you go, everyone else will be too tired from racing there on Saturday to bother doing it again with you.

Chad Bishop said...

Oh man... I really am out of it. You are right it is on saturday, not Sunday as I originally wrote. Maybe I will race on Sunday anyway, it won't be the first time I got first and last place in my division.

Anonymous said...

come to iowa city tonight and we'll whip you into shape

Chad Bishop said...

Riding in Iowa City tonight would be considered 'cruel and unusual punishment' for me, because I am sure you guys are planning a top-notch hammer-fest.
On the other hand, that would be the quickest 'road to recovery'.

Doug said...

Well, it sounds like you are getting fat :). Time to pack it in and take up a 5th every night :).

I missed a lot last week, the motivation thing. But got lead around on a leash tonight for 40 miles. I keep saying, I am not doing this (hammer) ride again, but I keep coming back.

Doug said...

What do you do for work? Just wondering.

Chad Bishop said...

Doug,

I do TV/Video/Media production, basically. I am planning on hooking up a helmet cam to my head in 2009 while I am racing crits, and selling racing perspective indoor cycling training dvd's marketed towards senior citizen spinning classes. Just an example, of how I put combine my career with my hobby.