Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Iowa State Championship Pre-Game Rundown.

Alright, I got in 71 miles yesterday, only 'entry-level' cramping, so I have decided to race it up this Saturday at the State Champs in West Branch, Iowa, (Cat 1,2,3, 108miles). So, let's have some fun marking wheels in the Cat 3 race... (NOTE: I don't claim to be Paul Sherwyn, Bob Roll, or Phil Ligget, and don't always know fellow riders by name only face, so these will basically just be the riders who I know by name and face. No offense to the countless number of riders who I didn't mention and may be just as worthy if not more so, than those called out below)

First, let's quickly look at last years event (80 rolling miles) to see if we can get any insight into how this year's will be...

Total competitors equals: 23. (not as large as you may have thought)
Total finishers: 15
Cat 3 winner (and overall)...
Nate Moenck... Not marked because he isn't in Iowa this year.
Next placed current Cat 3....
Ian Robinson... Yes, finishing 8th is a good result in a tough race. Races for HBA. If his form is comparable then no reason why he wouldn't be able to place well.
Top Placed in the Cat 4 race who is now a Cat 3...
William Greenwood... He rides for Bikes To You, probably enough said, I would recommend keeping a close eye on all of these guys because they are on a mission to dominate, and taking home a couple of medals is going to be a part of the plan. He rode in Superweek and has won a couple of Iowa Road Races as a Cat 3 this year.

This event was held in Dubuque, so a discouraging drive for many west Iowans. And, wasn't put on by the much larger ICCC team. Also not nearly the pre-race hype, so I would expect many more than 23 in this year's race. (I predict around 40, maybe 50, with just under half being Cat 3's)

2008 CAT 3 SHOWDOWN...

There will be many teams here with multiple competitors so team tactics will be in play, namely:
Bikes To You, ICCC, Atlas, HBA (East Coast)
All Nine Yards, Rasmussen's, DMOS (West Coast)
Some of the teams will have riders who aren't feeling like they can win, so they will sacrifice themselves by launching attacks and/or setting a high tempo, leaving the other teams to chase them down, saving their 'team captain(s)' for the last lap.

For B2U, I feel that Bryan Moritz is going to be the main threat. Winning at Superweek, winning the Iowa Cup, rocking at Snake Alley, gold in Team Time Trial... the list goes on. He may even opt to be a Cat 2 after this season, and actually might be a candidate for the overall, especially if he works something out with Cat 1/2 Iowa Cup winner Sean Walker (my pick to win the 1/2 race).
Thinking about it Andrew Fagersten, Finn, Will and Chris Hansen, also on the B2U, could easily win, but more imporantly will be able to be key contributors to the team's overall success.

For ICCC, I don't specifically know who many of their Cat 3's are, so I will just ackowledge Adam Price. This guy is always a strong rider, with a huge motor. Maybe he isn't as strong at flat Crits, so you may have thought he is no longer a factor... nope he is... he has been secretly crafting a late season fitness peak. He dominated the Cat 4's last season early to get his upgrade, and is anxious to make his mark as a Cat 3. I just remembered Jimmie Corrico. He is great on the hills and was dominant as a Cat 4 this year. ICCC will be well represented at the Cat 3 level.

For Atlas, again I don't know who all of their Cat 3's are, so no offense intended because I know I am overlooking some of their strong Cat 3's. However, Ryan Jacobsen comes to mind. Atlas is a strong team, so he will have support. His biggest strength is that he often frequents the Tues/Thurs Iowa City training rides that are pleasantly infested with Cat 1/2 and 3's. These rides make you strong and smart. Also, of note, they actually do training rides on this course, so will be familiar with the layout and good places to attack/recover, etc. Dominic Moraniec is on Atlas, but might enter the Masters Race. If he lines up with us, however, watch out, because he is very skillful.

For HBA, Carson Christian. This guy is hungry and confident. He has traveled to wisconsin and ohio valley to race at the Cat 3 level and get the experience he needed to be a threat at this level. He won the Cat 4 Snake Alley race this year (always at the top in every other cat 4 race) and just pulled off a victory at a Two Bee event as a Cat 3. Also coached by Paul Deninger, a sign of his dedication, and of note because he will be going into this race with a strategy.

For All Nine Yards, Steven Robinson. He was a threat in the Iowa Cup and has won as a Cat 3.

For Rasmussen's, Pete Basso. Well, he found a passion in Time Trialing in the middle of the season, so you know he has been getting in extra mileage having this new discipline to prepare for. Plus, he is on 'the death squad'... With a team name like that you have to expect trouble.

Lot's of other riders will be entering without the team support, and they can take advantage of the team wars, possibly, by sitting-in and/or following wheels at times when others will be obligated to chase. This just depends upon how the breakaways pan out. There will also be out-of-state riders, who aren't eligible for medals, but probably wouldn't have made the drive if they didn't think they had a shot at some of the cash.

My team mate Bill Ford is thinking about entering the Cat 3 race (he may opt to do the Masters instead). He claims to have earned around 38 points in a 12 month period as a cat 4 (only 20 needed to upgrade), so he is definately worthy of being categorized at this skill level. He actually won a 200 mile race, and is a strong mileage junkie and fierce competitor, so these distances actually suit him. Just as we may be thinking about pulling off in exhaustion, he may be just getting warmed up.

As for me... don't bother marking me, I will be sitting at the back so I can craft a good blog entry on sunday. If I do end up with a gap, here is my request.... Can one rider from B2U, ICCC, and Atlas come with me? Then, if you don't mind, I will sit in the draft as you three rotate through. Obviously, your teamates will block, so you won't even really have to work that hard. We may have to slow down, actually, if I start cramping, but no worries, I will hang on. Then as I cross the finish line as the first Cat 3, I will disclose that I have been sandbagging on my blog for the entire week and actually am in the best shape ever... or am I? (insert sinister laugh here)

I realize this rundown has yet to acknowledge an obvious situation... the cat 1/2's are racing at the same time for the same money. Ok, definately complicates things. My prediction, in general is that the Cat 1/2's tactics will create many chase groups early, as they will be trying to shed the field down to a more workable number, and 'weeding out' some of the Cat 3's, so they can focus on their true rivals.

I would hope that the first 27 mile lap would be somewhat neutral, in that everyone respects the true energy/hydration demands of racing for 108 miles. I, imagine, though, that a handful of people will get a gap by the end of the first lap. Then, just like in 'European' racing, the peloton will slowly reel them in, and their race will basically be over. Then attack after attack. Each one getting 'caught' but shedding riders one by one who couldn't bridge. Many of us will be in 'no man's land' by the 4th lap. Too tired to catch the group ahead, rather forced to wait for the group behind, or fake a flat tire, so they can DNF without losing face.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

good choice to do the road race, can't wait to whip some B2U ass.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is right, it will be fun CRUSHING B2U. I think following wheels & letting the 1/2's do there own thing is a great strategy, who do we follow? Ian is riding strong, and so is Ryan. If Chris shows up strong, they stand no chance!

Anonymous said...

Based on form, Bryan Moritz should win followed by Carson Christian. The other New Cat 3 riders are unproven yet over that distance.
The strongest riders in Cat 3 when on form are Nick Martin, Ryan Jacobsen, Ian Robinson and Chris Reed. We'll see Saturday if they have been riding much.

Carson said...

Chad,
I am glad you decided to do the Road Race. I think it is going to be an awesome experience. Baring it being 90 Degrees, Sunny, and not a lot of wind!

See ya Saturday!

Anonymous said...

I think I about shit myself trying to catch up to Ian, Chris, & Carson last weekend. I think they way they are riding together right now, they are the team to beat!

Anonymous said...

Carson Christen, state champion. nuff said.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you write too much, I am going to have to come back and read this later :).

Carson said...

State Champion.....nuff said?

I'd probably have to disagree, but thanks

Anonymous said...

Disagree? You have one of the best coaches in the state of Iowa, don't you have confidence in your training? You are going to rock!

Chad Bishop said...

good comments, thanks for basically keeping things positive. With all these awesome Cat 3 team rosters, I am going to try and recruit Tim Campbell and Bill Ford so we can have a fighting chance against you guys.

Sorry to the guy who crapped himself riding with the HBA guys, but good insight, that does seem to be a strong team this year.

Norbert and Nick Martin(atlas) are good riders, who I overlooked, they will add to the Atlas arsenal.

Anonymous said...

personally i think anybody who can man up and take b2u is well deserving of the gold. i dont think its possible for anybody to out gun the strongest team in iowa mabe even upper midwest. the fire power they are working with far exceeds most teams. its gonna take a team not a person to out play b2u. it its evident that b2u has more team tactics and will animate the race rather let others decide how the race will unfold and that is why they will win!

Anonymous said...

Paul Denninger always plays a factor in this race, whether it is with his legs or with the people he trains. That's why my money is on Carson, he just simply has a better pedigree.

Doug said...

Ok, just go:

"I want to win, I am going to win!"

That should do it.

Doug said...

You would never fake a flat tire, now would you?

I hear you are as pure as the wind driven snow, a cast iron pillar of the community, who’s character is beyond reproach.

No, you would never fake a flat tire.

Carson said...

Chad, you have done a great job with this post!!

It is gonna be a great race!
Paul is a good coach anonymous, and I am thinking positively, but I can't outwit a team like B2U by myself

I think this will play out more different then any other Cat 3 race any of us have done.

Pete Basso said...

Ok, Ok Carson is very strong and riding tough but he is not experienced in the field of the Cat 1,2,3's. He will however find his way to finish with the peloton. This is a totally different race then we are normally used to riding in, mixing the cat 1/2 crowd changes the dynamics completely. Look for B2U to launch attacks and watch every team send a guy into the break. One of Carson's main downfalls is that he has no teammates to work with. He will have to strategize with another team if he stands a chance. I love the kid but at this level it becomes more about the game of Chess on Wheels then the fitness. If you don't believe me then ask Lou Waugaman. There aren't many people in this state faster then he is, but riding as a one man band hasn't won him any road races this year. Its all about strategy and tactics. See you guys out there, but please go easy on me.

Anonymous said...

B2U has posted the best results this season and are definately ranked number 1. A Healthy HBA team is a more talented though.
B2U win likely win, but there are riders on HBA who can cover any attack on a long hilly course.

Pete Basso said...

Ok, just for the sake of a healthy discussion, lay out who on HBA can cover B2U? I say you're crazy and dillusional but am open to listen to your comments. Has HBA been a factor in ANY races this year? I haven't raced in every race but I don't remember them ever being a threat?

Anonymous said...

Ian, Chris, Carson, & Eastburn can cover B2U.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Basso, I look forward to racing you Saturday. Your kind words are just the motivation I needed. Helping Carson is my main priority but you have now added an extra element of intrigue to my race plans.
Thanks Again.
Ian Robinson