Saturday, July 5, 2008

Le Bon Doc Tour #2 --- 'man cards'

RACE OF TRUTH... OR LIE DETECTOR?

It as around 10am, just got home from this race in West Branch, Iowa that might actually still be going on... How is this possible, you may ask?


Take a few moments to come up with some scenarios, and scroll down after you have came up with your best scenarios.



Hmm...



???



Before I get to the race report, let's play a game that might make sense of the subtitle...

Below are two almost identical pictures... can you find what is different between the two pictures?



If you guessed Michelob Ultra v. Accelerade you are correct. Did you know that one of the number one vitamin deficiencies in healthy humans is currently Vitamin D? Yes, Vitamin D used to be primarily derived from exposure to the sun, but with the skin cancer/ozone issues many people's use of SPF 30+ is creating a void. You need about 1000 units, and can then enjoy a 30% reduced incident of some cancers (including prostate and colon) along with reduced risk diabetes. So, go grab some Vitamin D supplements...

Ok, maybe I am stalling, but that is a true fact.

Speaking of self-induced vitamin deficiencies...You have to relinquish a 'man card' just to drink michelob ultra, but they upped it to two man cards, by now creating this new 'slimline can'. I win 12 packs of this beer by entering two bee TT races and essentially being the only one in my category, so I get first and last place and a 12 pack. This new can doesn't fit very well into the bottle cage.

I have been watching wimbeldon for no apparent reason... I wonder if anybody would still read this blog if I took up tennis and started posting entries about it?

---This race was a 21 mile Road Race followed by a 6 mile Time Trial. I had told Bryan Moritz of Bikes To You, that I would hand off my disc wheel at the race, so he could use it at the state Team Time Trial this Sunday. Speaking of Bikes To You, completely by coincidence, virtually the entire team showed up.

Why don't I enter the Team Time Trial? Probably for the same reason that my cat has stopped using the litter box, and now simply deposits 'his business' on my basement carpet...

So, with 5 Bikes To You guys, a few Two Bee Racers, a couple of unattached type riders and myself, we headed out. I chatted with Sean Walker during the first part of the race. We talked about how running takes away a bit of bike power, but builds cardio (I had a good 5k race the day before, 19 minutes, my PR). I also confirmed that he is entering the State Time Trial championships in Nichols. He came in second last year, and is on form to possibly win overall, though team mate Josh Madsen and Mercy/Specialized rider Paul Denninger are going to be heavily favored as well, not to mention some other strong cat 1,2,3 riders who may be 'flying under the radar'.

B2U attacks (maybe Finn) and a Two Bee rider follows. At some point inbetween one of the attacks, I realize I am left with the responsibility to help bridge up (at this point I was seriously rethinking my nutritional tactics of the night before). When the group gets all back together, Bryan Moritz tactfully counter attacks and calls Finn up with him. Sean Walker and Josh Madsen eventually bridge up, and a group of 4 B2U guys has a gap.

A group of 5 was then charged with trying to catch them. Lee Venteicher of B2U was still with us. So, obviously, he didn't help the effort to regroup the race, but strategically attacked on a hill right after one of my pulls, when I was blocked in, and gapped me off taking Mike Edwards of Two Bee with him.

I worked with two other riders to try and catch Lee and Michael (and then maybe the four leaders?), but eventually rode my chasing companions off of my wheel. Not very good tactics on my part, but we weren't gaining any ground with this rotation.

So, this for the most part was a Time Trial (first a team time trial, then a solo time trial). I spent the last 6 or so miles that I was by myself trying to decide if I wanted to do the 6 mile TT that was the second 'stage' of the day. I also tried to decide if I should get rid of my cat, because having poop all over the house isn't helping my mental health. Speaking of relinquishing 'man cards' a single guy who lives alone with a cat definately mandates that I withdrawal another one... How many do I have left?

I pedalled all out, at least enjoying the opportunity to get in some good training, as it seemed like sometimes Lee and Micheal were getting closer... they weren't.

Second Stage - 6 mile TT - RACE OF TRUTH...

The 'truth' should be obvious by now, if you have been reading the subtext of this entry. One race was good enough for me today, as I opted not to race the 6 mile TT. I still had to ride my bike the 6 miles back to West Branch. This reminded me of the 'walk of shame' that sorority girls sometimes have to do as they leave the frat house at 6am after a night of impaired judgment. Well, I am guessing they will give me the same time as the slowest rider minus one minute.

Do I give up another man card because I opted out of the second stage? Or maybe readers can allow me to keep this one, giving me credit for showing up and battling the awesome Iowa force that is the Bikes To You racing team (even though I will have to apologize for not being much competition)? I mean, there were only about 11 of us, so what were all the other licensed USCF racers doing at about 5:30 this morning as I was loading up my racing gear?

My biggest accomlishment is that I made it to all of three of the races this week. There are so many ways to make excuses and not show up, but I do really enjoy these races, even when things don't go according to plan.

Speaking of plans, I planned on taking off my bike shorts first thing when I got home, because they were a bit smelly. I guess I will do that now.

thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drinking Michelob Ultra can be grounds for revocation, but if you opened it with an Official Man Card Beer Opener Hat, maybe we can excuse you.

Chad Bishop said...

Hillarious, thanks for the comment. I wonder if that hat is USCF certified.