Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The BMI Blues

I made the unfortunate mistake of looking up my current body mass index BMI, as was dissappointed to see that I had been teetering on 'overweight' at my winter weight of around 174lbs. The normal range is 18.5 to 24.9, and at 5'11", 174 would put me right on the upper range. I guess I did have a little 'love handle' action going on, though I thought I was in good shape, maybe not.

On the other hand, I would have to be 131 pounds to get to 18.5 BMI, so obviously this scale isn't perfect, but another guide for assessing health. George Hincapies BMI, for example is 19.6 and Bill Ford's race weight BMI is 23 (based on his claim that he is 6'2" and weighs in at 179lbs in peak form).

So, I have adjusted my fitness goal to really see a difference in performance this year. My VO2 max, lactate threshold, etc. are determined by genetics and training, so my 'engine' is sort of locked in for the season if I stay on track, my plan then is to have this same engine reside in a smaller 'chasis'.... therefore the power to weight ratio is improved.

MY GOAL: So, based on my research, and general knowledge of my body and lifestyle, I am aiming to reach a weight of 160 pounds. This would be a BMI of 22.6, and probably as low as I will ever be able to get, considering my build. I weighed in at 166.8 this morning, but I am fixated on this goal, so the diet is on.

No comments: