Thursday, May 22, 2008

Crit Racing

The word 'Criterium' is french for 'Competition'... definately some good competition heading to eastern IA/western IL this weekend. The british call Crits 'roundy rounds'. More usesless trivia, but anyone who races in this area is probably thinking about this weekend.

Today, I am wondering if a taper is in order. Most cyclist don't seem to taper in favor of 'saddle time' so I usually follow suit. Tapering is the key to success for running events, but I am going to hit it hard again tonight, hoping to gain some confidence and maintain my fitness.

I have been doing some reading on racing tactics for criteriums. Strength and fitness are important in criterium racing, but equally important (in some ways more important) is tactical skill and intelligence/experience. A little luck and courage also help.

I am doing all of the Cat 3 events 1) Snake Alley in Burlington, 2) Melon City Crit in Muscatine (my backyard) 3)Quad Cities Criterium in Rock Island, Il. My goals are to hopefully get in the money in some of the races. They pay back deep (20 places or so) however there is such strong competition that I will really have to earn a spot that high up on the leader board.

In the back of my mind, yes I do also want to continue building my fitness and gaining racing skill, so I will be having some measure of success regardless of the outcome. I hope that Iowa riders are confident and ready to get some high placings since this is basically our home turf.

The Iowa Cup continues with Snake Alley and Melon City Crits, so a competition within a competition will be occuring as we can also measure our results against the local racers.

There is no reason to hold anything back this weekend, so good luck to all, and ride strong... real strong.

No comments: