Sunday, May 18, 2008

DICE 20k Time Trial

Today was the day to officially put a number to my TT skills with the 8th annual 20k Time Trial championships in Barstow, IL. I had entered this race the two previous years, but this was the first year with an actual TT bike, so I was obviously hoping to build upon my previous efforts.

While there were well over 100 people in past years, the 2008 edition had a rather sparse attendance, but, as we all know, you race against who shows up, not to mention the fact that this is really a race against the clock.

Speaking of who showed up, Bryce Mead, a pro rider from Team Jelly Belly, decided to enter the race, arriving early for this weekend's Memorial Day events. I checked it out to make sure he was the real deal: http://jellybellycycling.com/team/

Anyway, he won first overall, surprise, and beat the old course record of 26:13, set by Paul Deninger with a 25:16 (about 29.51mph ave). This is especially noteworthy because that put me down a spot, finishing second overall with a 26:16 (28.39mph).

I was hoping to do well today, and was very happy when I crossed the line, but floored to hear about some guy getting a 25minute time... I was relieved that he raced professionally (sort of made it seem like he was overqualified to compete with us amateurs, or something), but still would have rather he stayed home today.

The rest of the Muscatine Multisport gang did well, with Eric Furnas and Chris Mann taking firsts in their age group, and Connie Mann achieving a 2nd place overall in the female division.

Ok, well this Bryce Mead guy is in town for one of the region's main events... Memorial Day Weekend Racing. Going fast in a straight line is one thing, but this weekend is about so much more, specifically going fast through corners.

I am pretty sure crit racing is one of my weakest areas, but if luck falls my way I might have a result worth posting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in Sterling Il.
I rode to and from the event in Barstow.
While doing your research it would have said that I live only 45 miles from Barstow.
Best of Luck, this weekend.
P.S. I can corner.