Thursday, May 15, 2008

Muscatine Multi-sport Duathlon


Wednesday was the newly formed Muscatine Multi-sport's group training event. We set up a course at saulsbury rec. center that included a 2 mile run, a 20k bike and then another 2 mile run.

Pretty good attendance, with a few people trying a duathlon for the first time. I imagine they will now be inspired to upgrade their bike and/or their running efforts and equipment to take on this challenging new discipline.

My running times seemed right on track, considering I am only running once per week. I am hoping to simply maintain my runs, and keep amping up my Time trialing results as the season goes on.

I did the course in 54 minutes and 48 seconds. My first run was 5:43/mile and second run was 6:11/mile. I did the bike part in 29minutes and 52 seconds. Thanks to connie mann for doing the timing, which she was forced into, having brought a bike with no brake pads (they were taken out to install some brand new super fast zipp wheels).

I am still tweaking my bike position and fit, but I almost have it locked in to the most aerodynamic I can get without injuring myself or comprosining on comfort and optimum power output.

Local bike shop owner Greg Harper, gets honorable mention, for fixing my gear shifter earlier that day. Yes, I have many cycling skills, but I learn as I go with the mechanical aspects fo the sport, and really screwed up my gears by trying to make an adjustment myself. Greg saved the day for me however, and I am back up to speed.

No comments: