Monday, May 5, 2008

Runnin to my Bike - Duathlon

May 4th was the 'Cinco Du Mayo' Duathlon at the Hummer Lot in Davenport, IA. My spanish isn't perfect, but I believe the event was a day early than it's namesake.

Due to the nasty winter weather, I was sort of forced to cross train on my treadmill in the basement. I didn't have any real goal in mind as I ran in my basement, but I was steadily building up my running pace and mileage. At some point, it clicked that I was a good runner again, oops. This could spell trouble for my cycling season...

No worries, running is sort of boring, and the weather is now perfect for cycling, so I avoided a near castostrophe. However, I thought I would try and hang on to my running fitness just long enough to compete in this duathlon.
My new Trek TT bike arrived Wednesday, so everything was working out well. I had just enough time to practice riding it before the event (more on my TT bike and some action photos to come later).

Duathlons, for me anyway, are bike time trials, with an annoying run up to the bike, and then an even more unbearable run across the finish line. This was a 'sprint' duathlon so it was full gear for a 3k run, 17k bike and 3k run. The running portions don't really 'help' your bike time, but once your heart rate subsides from the run, you can actually get a pretty good clip going.

So, how'd I do? I rocked it out with a 2nd place overall! While I was about 10th or so after the run, I passed everyone on the bike except a guy from the Univ. of Iowa Triathlon team who actually was in the process of setting a course record. I was really nervous that I would get passed on the second leg of the run, but my gap on the third placed competitor ended up being large enough that I held on to 2nd.

There was a lot of good competition there. Not really any cyclists that I could recognize, but the University of Iowa brought up about 8 men/women from their Triathlon team, and they were very strong. There are also many regional multi-sporters who compete in this event, as it is the first real race of the season for triathletes and duathletes.

I am still going to run once in awhile, because I think my VO2 Max is improving because of the cardio work-out I get from running. I won't overdo it, I understand I need the weekly mileage on the bike to hang on to the Cat 3 caliber of racing.
The new 'Muscatine Multi-sport' club is having training races the second wednesday of may, june and july at saulisbury rec center, 6pm. These will help keep me in shape for the du-state du and august and harvest hammer in september.
Photo above is by Joe Mann, thanks.

4 comments:

george said...

congrats chad man. way to rock it.

adam

Chad Bishop said...

Adam,

Thanks, I prerused previous results in preparation for this Duathlon and noticed you did well back in your 'running days'.
2004: 1st place
2005: 3rd Place
2006: 1st place
Each year though, your running got slower and your biking got faster. I guess good news for multi-sporters that you stopped running, but bad news for cyclists.
I don't know what my time was yet, something like 48min. I didn't notice the clock until later in the day.

Unknown said...

Hey Chad!

I just stumbled upon your blog when looking for the race results. Good job at the race, I was very impressed by your 'skillz' on the bike. I always thought I was a better biker than runner (I was just ahead of you after T1 and in 4th after T2), but you are a whole different step ahead of what I can do! I do plan on sticking with Triathlons though so I don't mind that I am not the best biker, but I would like to at least approach your speed some day :) Thanks for giving me something to shoot for!

Steve

Anonymous said...

Well written article.