Monday, May 26, 2008

Redemption at the park

Sunday's race at Weed Park in Muscatine, IA, "The Melon City Criterium" ended up being just what I needed, maybe even deserved, after such a miserable race the day before on Burlington's Snake Alley.

This race is a 'two-corner' crit, but also includes a speed bump, duck obstructions and a fairly good sized climb on each of the one mile laps. I lined up with the 'Number One' pinned to my back and gratefully positioned myself dead center of the first row.

Around 85 other riders took their places as well, so the self-doubt kicked in, realizing the race only paid back 15 places, and these were all established Cat 3 racers. On the other hand, I knew this course would favor some of my strengths, and I have ridden it countless times in races and training. I even ride up the hill portion of the course a few times a week whenever I bike to work.

I tore off at the beginning of the race, expecting the frantic dash of saturday's race, but found that everyone was much more relaxed, so this wasn't necessary. This allowed me to settle in to the groove and start trying to find my rhthym.

Since there were a lot of local spectators from Muscatine there rooting for the home team, I had fun trying out different spots in the pack, inside, outside, middle, front, etc. I guess it just makes you more self conscious of where you are in the pack, when people are constantly cheering things like "move up", or "keep on em" or "get to the inside", etc.

Another way I passed the time was to see how fast we were going over the speed bump. I was able to get up to around 41 mph on some of the laps. Some of the riders were even able to get some good air as they ramped over the bump. I wonder if certain frame compositions are better suited for speed bump sailing?

I saw the bike cops looming around the race, so I hoped they didn't mind that we were exceeding the posted speed limit signs. I also wondered if they actually put in any 'off duty' mileage to qualify to be a 'bike cop'. I am not a criminal, per se, however, I would love to get caught up in a high speed police chase against bike cops, with me saddled up on my cyclocross bike. Maybe I will grow a mullet, get some tattos, then take my shirt off and go shoplift some 'fodies' of Old English from the Kum N Go.

Seriously, how hard would it be to drop these guys? Sort of an inadvertant perk to having good bike fitness. This, of course, assumes that they don't have the helicopter out tracking my crime spree.

I should do research to see if they make daisy duke style cut-offs with chamois pads? Most likely I would still opt to wear my helmet, just in case any of my fellow bike club members were watching the pursuit on tv. Plus, a wicked case of 'helmet head hair' combined with my mullet would be an added bonus for the viewers.

... oh, back to the racing. As luck was not on my side saturday, it was shining down on me sunday, as I was able to avoid a very horrible crash that laid out right in front of me. I was the next in line to go down, except I had just enough time to react and stay clear.

This shook up the field, and I had good position the remaining few laps. I executed my stategy and had enough energy left to come around the last switch back in good position. Everyone was sprinting out everything they had on the last portion of the last lap, so the question was basically 'who had the most left'.

I was pleased to be able to maintain my position after the switchback for a seventh place finish. This is a good result, higher than I ever got in the three previous times I have done this race (as cat 5, and twice as a cat 4). Also, earned me a special call-out from the announcer, since I was a member of the hosting club and a local rider, not to mention some cash (so I didn't have to shoplift my post-race '8-ball of OE' from the Kum N Go).

For the Iowa riders, Dominic M. (burlington, Ia) snuck in for a third or fourth place finish (after winning the cat 4 race last year), so he definately knows how to race around the park. Some years, it seems that Iowa riders get 'schooled' by the out town guests, but so far we have been getting respect with good results in all categories.

Speaking of that, teamate Bill Ford, pulled of a 4th place in the Master's 40 race as well, with Greg (12th place) and Bill Harper also racing well.

3 comments:

Carson said...

Nice job this weekend.

Who was the guy that was taking pictures?

Anonymous said...

umm not quite sure what ur talking about...i was never in "a disagreement or sorts" after the switchback. all i know was the guy next to me came into my right side and he said some guys came into his right side. what i did hear about a disagreement was that some guy was relegated to last place because he "lifted his hands off the bars" which in other words is "punched a guy" but i am not positive of that

Chad Bishop said...

bryan,

sorry, for the mix-up, I will change it on the post, thanks for clearing it up for anyone who may be reading this.